OMB rates these days?

svp

I'll add that I like to just get at it and get it done. I once hired Starman and two others for a shoot at a Pizza place and it was suppose to be two 16 hour days but it ended up being a 16 hour day and a 4 hour day. I don't like dragging my feet to stretch out shoots just to make more money. In this case, I had already contracted with the New York company for the two 16's so everybody got paid for the full day even though we only worked 4 hours on day two.

Same thing happened in Gainesville, TX a few months ago. Contracted for 8 hours but Starman and I finished in 6. Still got paid the full rate even though we finished and left early.

Teddy

I'll add that I like to just get at it and get it done. I once hired Starman and two others for a shoot at a Pizza place and it was suppose to be two 16 hour days but it ended up being a 16 hour day and a 4 hour day. I don't like dragging my feet to stretch out shoots just to make more money. In this case, I had already contracted with the New York company for the two 16's so everybody got paid for the full day even though we only worked 4 hours on day two.

Same thing happened in Gainesville, TX a few months ago. Contracted for 8 hours but Starman and I finished in 6. Still got paid the full rate even though we finished and left early.
Nothing like half assing a job, overcharging your client and then bragging about it on the internet. Remind my why your business failed again?

svp

Jealousy and envy gets you nowhere Teddy. Lets see some of your fantastic work.

Teddy

BluesCam,

I just stand firm on 8 hours and tell them its non-negotiable.
Ask Starman if you need someone to verify the 8 hour days.

I once hired Starman and two others for a shoot at a Pizza place and it was suppose to be two 16 hour days but it ended up being a 16 hour day and a 4 hour day.
You should re-read your posts in the thread so you can keep your stories straight.

svp

Maybe you need to take some reading lessons Teddy. My day rate is for 8 hours but I will work longer days but anything over 8 is OT which was figured in to the 16 hour/day shoot.

Tv Shooter

Because a lot of clients who were paying $1750-$1800/day for an HDCam when the body cost $90K and you had to put a $25k lens on it, plus everything else you show up with, today balk at paying the same day rate for a $15K camera.

Especially when they can get "that 5D look we had in the last project" from a recent film school grad with a $5K camera package who will work for peanuts on a 14 hour day.
Client:"we want that 5D look, but we don't want to pay that rate for your big camera when all we need is a 5D".

Me:"then go get a 5D, head over to home depot and get a dude standing out front to run the 5D and shoot it. I tend to go with it's not the wand, it's the magician that waves it. Yep, I'm going with that."

Client after long pause: "you're hired".

Actual conversation with a potential, now long term, and very happy client.

svp

If it were the gear that really mattered then you could turn on any local tv news and every VO, VOSOT, and Package that station airs would look the same. We all know how untrue that really is.

BluesCam

FWIW, another freelancer, using a PDW-700, said he was doing regular work for a network and was charging $1400 a day. That included a light kit and a GoPro. Sound was hired separately.

svp

BluesCam,

I'm guessing that's CBS because they are almost exclusively 700's and, at least a few years ago, would not accept anything else. Rate sounds about right but when I was in DC, CBS paid about $1800/day but that was the freelance rate plus they paid a rental fee to the freelancer to basically rent his/her gear. That may have changed since then.

BluesCam

Right SVP. I have run into the split of labor and equipment rental on invoices. I got a call from "Sony TV" (whatever that is) and they wanted something shot on a Sony optical disc camera only (no EX models). Most of the TV freelancers around here have Panasonic cameras.

There anyone else out there laboring away in a small(er) market?
I am. Well, technically it's a medium market. But outside of local TV, there is little video work. There are a variety of production companies in town doing events and TV spots. But people in our market aren't used to high quality work. I've tried to price myself as lower than the bigger markets, but higher than what some go for around here.

But I've also been able to travel for some of my projects. I have a niche market, and have been able to shoot projects in Boston, D.C., and Atlanta. Hoping to build that up more over the long term.

And I'd love to have some feedback from the rest of you. Before I share my rate, I'll mention my experience first. I've been shooting for 13 years, about half of that in news. The rest as a corporate videographer, and most recently as a freelancer/OMB. My primary camera for most shoots is a FS100, my backup b-roll cam is a 5D, and I just recently (actually, today) purchased the original BMCC for special projects. Like another person mentioned above, I don't charge for my gear separately. My day rate is $800 for an 8 hour day and will charge extra for anything beyond that. I take the same philosophy as SVP. I slaved away in the news business in a medium sized market for long enough. So I set my rate, but I will also work hourly if the client doesn't reserve a full day.

My strategy so far has been targeting corporate clients. But I'd like to branch out into working with other production companies/producers. Anyone have any suggestions on websites or services they use to find work?

Capt. Slo-mo

First of all, register with any of the TV work places you can find. Mandy, production hub, Staff me Up, media match, crew connection...there are a couple dozen of them out there. Some are free, some cost a little to join. Have a concise, up to date resume ready, with credits included. And, either have a website or a hosting place where you have some video work samples parked that prospective clients can take a look at.

BluesCam

I agree with Capt. Slo-mo. Assignment Desk and Maslow Media are two more. I managed to make a good deal off of DVD duplication for a few years, but that is going away. I still get calls for specific cameras, but if you do your own projects you can use what you have.

Thanks for the advice... Right now I'm producing corporate projects & short documentaries as an OMB. But I'm interested in branching out, so those sites you both mentioned will be very helpful.

As a side note, I've been building my personal brand as a rare disease advocate. I live with a rare disease myself called Phenylketonuria (PKU). Many of the projects I've produced have either been related to PKU, newborn screening (which detects PKU at birth), and rare diseases. Feb 28 is world Rare Disease Day, and we could use some help getting the word out. 30 million Americans live with a rare disease, and about 7,000 diseases. PKU is one of the most well known in the medical community, but still lesser known in the general public. Thought some of you might like to check out this project I produced for a PKU fundraiser in Washington, D.C. A great intro into what it's like to live with this rare disease: https://vimeo.com/76158057