Off camera interviews

MikeW

Hello Everyone on Broll:

Sometimes on a shoot I encountered people who decline to be on camera. That's fine. I'm just looking for a quick sound bite, reacting to the event. I can move on to someone who is willing to express themselves. What do you do when the key person in your story refuses to go on camera?

Recently I had such a situation; I booked the interview, when I arrived the person said he would with me as long as I do not show him on camera. No, blurring or pixilation in this case is not an option. I did ask if I could audio tape our interview. He agreed.

If you had a similar situation, tell me what you did to get the story.

MikeW

The shadow is an excellent idea for concealing identity.

In the case I am writing about it's not a matter of concealing identity. Its a matter of self image. This person is very large and does not like the way he looks so he refuses to be photographed.

2 Hungry Dogs

That makes it tough, especially since they are the key person. However, there is little journalistic value in a story that only affects one person, so if the story has merit, then there are probably other people out there who could give you a similar perspective.

It sounds like its time for a little soul searching on your story. If you are in a visual medium, then it is important to have the visuals. Can you tell the story without this visual? Can you find another person to use as the key person i the story. Is your medium the proper place for story, or would it be better in print, or radio?

You probably have some investment in this story in terms of time, money, effort, emotion. You need an editor, or manager to help you decide if the story is worth continuing. Maybe you just need to work a little harder to convince that person that it's the only way you can tell their story, or work to find another person as the key to the story. Many investigative journalists will tell you they spend a lot of time looking for reasons NOT to continue pursuing a story.

photoguy603

Not sure this would work in your EXACT situation but it may help in the future. I've done it outdoors where I'll focus on or macro a tree, or flower so the rest of the interview subject is out of frame. You can also do the same thing and frame it so the tree/flower is in focus and all you see is out of focus hands instead of a person.

paulisphotoman

If he/she refused to be on camera, shoot a shadow on a wall, or outside on the pavement, or use color bars to get sound, then anything from hands, feet (standing or sitting), just to show that person. I had to shoot a person's feet, back of their head, hands on their lap, necklace or watch, etc....

Necktie Boy

I agree with Joel if it is the key person. Really makes it hard to tell the story. Especially if you are saying that he didn't like the way he looks? Wasn't the shot going to be a head and shoulder shot? What does he do when he is on public locations?

MikeW

I agree with Joel if it is the key person. Really makes it hard to tell the story. Especially if you are saying that he didn't like the way he looks? Wasn't the shot going to be a head and shoulder shot? What does he do when he is on public locations?

Yes, I wonder what he does when he goes out in public. Or when he goes to the DMV.

vinayita

Such situations are very common.Camera fear is a common issue .I think the way to get interview in such condition is to shoot shadow or use of hidden camera.Some person hesitate to face camera.Just try to interview him/her without any hesitation and in general way.