'Nother Nat Pack

BryantVW

This assignment ranks as one of my favorites. It started out as just a simple "go cover this funeral". When I got there, I started thinking about the 21 gun salute, taps, and the guys nailing flags into the ground... I started to think this could be a pretty good nat pack.

Well, it turns out the family didn't want me anywhere near the mausoleum, so I couldn't get nats of the ceremony, and couldn't talk to anyone about who this person was who died. So, it turned into a "sights and sounds" kind of piece.

I generally like it, there are a few things I might change if I had a chance. Interested to see what you all have to say. I have my raw video saved as well, so I can go back and make changes if needed. My chief said I had a lot of good shots that I didn't even use... so I would love to use them if they fit in.

Thanks everyone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA4TARfJXcw

Latin Lens

Yeah....I don't know about this one. The concept is great...but really the execution is off and maybe thats becasue there is no intv sound to help supplement it and help move it along. You did actually get some great shots but you need some wide/tight edits on some of your nats to help sequence and have it make more impact visually and also give you more variety and thus more entertaining to the eye and viewer. For the restrictions you had...its not bad but its not that good either (sorry)....Would I suggest you put this on your save tape? No...but its a good story to learn some lessons from. Variety. And you know what might have been cool since you couldn't get sound from family or friends...why not sound from the photog shooting the emotion and commenting...that might have made it more interesting. Or intv yourself. Kinda radical but its stuff I think about when I have huge restrictions placed on me.

adam

I really liked the brevity. You kept it simple and it paid off. I agree with Ozkar that you needed a better selection of wide-medium-tide.
I almost yelled at my screen when you cut away from the first gun salute and the birds were flying off and you just cut... that was such a poetic moment, the shattering of the peace, and you kind of fell slave to the pacing. Let those moments go, I really, really wanted to take in that frame and the birds/action. It was almost beautiful.
I don't know how it was set up on-air but if it was done right I think you did well to take the concept and not get too carried away. My only real complaint was that you tried to get too many shots in and didn't let it soak in. Finally, I really wanted to see a tighter reaction shot of faces as the casket was taken out (or in?) I think there was a missed moment to really bring an emotional connection.

Good job.

BryantVW

Thanks! I see what you mean about the birds. Definitely should have let that play out. The shattering of the peace... very well put.