New Photog Shortcomings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gedy

This may be beyond your scope, but Live truck saftey and the fact that if they do operate a live truck down the road that they should fear and respect the powerlines and anything else that can potetially hurt thier well being.

Check out the look up and live video.

Gedy

Photog Cowboi

PRO user
Better yet...

Show and teach them how to operate a live truck! I only remember twice in five years did my instructor or the PBS people show me anything about a live truck!

SHOOT4U

Talking about the live truck stuff. I have my crew watch the Look Up and Live video, once every year. I also give the a guideline booklet on live truck saftey as well. They must sign a sheet stating that they have watched the video and read the booklet. this way if they ever say they have not been trained on the saftey of a live truck, you can pull the sheet out and say yes you did.

Scott Utterback

I respect the thought behind holding a shot for a certain amount of time but I believe this is a bad pattern to set. It doesn't produce a thinking photographer in the end. The correct amount of time to hold a shot is the amount of time it takes to get the shot. Think about the shot you want... for example a mechanic picking up a wrench... then set up your shot. If he picks it up in 5 seconds... you got it... move on. If he picks it up in 45 seconds... you got it... move on. We just recently started critiquing each others raw tapes and this is one of the things we picked up on. Some of us were rolling long after the shot was over and some of us were quiting a shot before it happened. Teaching the young to "think" and not just go through the motions is a tough hill to climb.

Scott makes a good point, but wouldn't it be easier and save tape and time to just say, "Hey, buddy, pick up that wrench."? I don't really have time to waste on some mechanic to "get around" to picking up a wrench. My time is entirely too sparce to wait around for some jackass tight shot. I've got VO/SOTS to get, lunch to eat, e-mail to check, bills to pay and buttons to make.

Eaglewolf

At our shop we shoot our vo/sots without the assist of a reporter on a regular basis. These are some points of intrest I go over:
Outdoors, using the sun as a main light. NOT a back light.
On multiple interviews, alternate axis points.
When using a Lav, tuck the mic cord, or shoot the the shot tight so the cord won't show. I got flamed for this on early on.
Try to keep interviewe at least 3ft from vertical background. This can be a challenge in some office enviornments. In a tight, I try to shoot about 45 degrees off of the background axis to create depth.
Don't use shutter under floresant lighting.
Correct tripod heighth.
We have a couple of 1-man band reporters that are too lazy to follow these fundamentals and it really chaps me.

Photog Cowboi

PRO user
Erich...I understand what you're talking about! Some places do not teach that and then the one man band folks come in with crappy video at times.

That is another thing that should be taught! The fact that they should understand that at anytime...they may have to another job (reporting, studio crew, producer or director)that is not quite under their belt (I learned the hard way how to report and produce).

Icarus112277

Most important thing- being able to recognize a friendly old-timer who has a few minutes to kill and the ability to pick his brain without being abrasive, and the kindness to buy a lunch or a beer in return.

SHOOT4U

One thing you may want to look for is the "Shoot like a pro" series from Bob Brandon. I was able to pick one up at he NPPA workshop in Ok. The first edition is the very basics on storytelling and understanding what you should shoot. I would recommend this for anyone who is interested in shooting stories not just video.

Brian Z

Originally posted by CHIEFPHOTDOG1:
I'm in a small market in fact we're a petty good starter market for those wanting to start in the biz. The one thing I believe new comers need to realize is news is not a job but in fact a way of life.

jcarroll

Shoot with your head.

And shoot with your heart.

I'm sure I stole that from Mark Anderson or someone. The message seems simple. And often leads to that little something extra in your story. All of the best photographers do it. That's what sets them apart.

jeremy carroll

LuccaBrazzi

Here's what I'd tell them.

1) Unless it's breaking news, use your sticks!
1A) But you can take the camera off the sticks and place it on the ground for an interesting view.
2) Shoot your raw stuff so that it can air raw.
3) Compose your shot first...THEN press the record button.
4) Forget about using your zoom & pan. I only use these to compose my shot. Too many rookies fall in love with zooms & pans.
5) Shoot your stuff as if someone else will be cutting your stuff. Give them enough shots to work with.
6)Stay cool. Don't panic or freak out. Even on the most exciting breaker, don't lose your cool. Think everything through. A panicky shooter shoots crappy stuff.

THIS is what I'd tell them.

Minnesotan

Networking....Get to know the people who can get you jobs. It's all who you know. Plus, something that's hard to teach, attitude.

Latanya

Hello! I am the Chief Photographer at my college station, and am responsible for teaching all the new members how to shoot and edit.

One thing that drives me crazy (that no one's mentioned) is how new photogs frame interview shots. Not just the rule of thirds and talk space/nose room, but the background. So many people just have the person sit against a blank wall, providing no dimension, or sit them somewhere with a distracting background that takes the focus away from the interviewee. One thing I would stress, if I were you, is to shoot them in front of something relevant and subtle, something that has to do with either the story in general, or what that specific person is talking about…anything but a blank/boring wall! It helps the piece SO much.

Good luck teaching!

queen of blue

Originally posted by LuccaBrazzi:
Here's what I'd tell them.

3) Compose your shot first...THEN press the record button.
Do not underestimate this one. Oh, how I wish somebody had BEAT that into my head right at the start. I remember the guys talking about it, but it didn't take.

Now I'm FOREVER trying to edit around those minor adjustments that I make AFTER I push the button. I'm working on it, but still have the habit.

Status
Not open for further replies.