New Photog Shortcomings

Status
Not open for further replies.

teach

Hello! I am a former chief who is now teaching television production. I was hoping to start a tread on some of the shortcomings you see from new photogs. I am challenged with teaching them the basics in the short time they are in my class, but I would like to know if there is anything that you see consistently that new photogs are bad at. My hope is that I can use this information in structuring my classes.

Thanks!

TXPhotog

Now I'm not a chief but in my first market:
-White balancing and pre-focusing were to the 2 most commonly forgotten things to do.
-Also don't do pans and zooms until you can do them smoothly. Practice on these out in the field but just don't edit them in.
-Think sequences, as in making sure they get an establishing shot, then mediums and tights to break it up. The photogs I worked with had issues with just shooting all wides.
-Tripod, tripod, tripod. Don't shoot off of the shoulder unless you are really close or don't have another option.
-Use natural sound. It took me awhile to understand the (good)use of nat sound until about 6 months in.

If I think if anything else I'll post it. Good luck. I hope you can help them the way my TV production teacher in college helped me.

turdpolisher1

tx photog has most of it down cold. more than remembering to white balance, try to get them to understand what a white balance is, and how it works -- good luck with that one.

once they've mastered that (and the rest of tx's suggestions) try to get them thinking about telling a story rather than just shooting video. pics for the sake of pics don't go very far conveying info.

TXPhotog

Oh yeah, HOLD THEIR SHOTS FOR 10 SECONDS!! I would hold shots for about 3-4 seconds thinking that it was much longer then it really was then I'd get back to edit and let out a nice big D'OH!!

Photog Cowboi

PRO user
I'm a new shooter...but from what I noticed...having newbies understand that they have to do more than just shoot! They have to be able to edit, linear and non-linear and also write! I saw a lot of underclassmen who did not understand that idea at all! Hence when I graduated...there were only 12 out of maybe 37 broadcast production majors total who could shoot, edit and write! Scary thought!

And yes...I do white balance (every time), I hold shots for 25 seconds or longer depending on time and...I make sure I record and write the person I am interviewings' name.

teach

Thanks! These are all things I have been trying to drill into them. My biggest challenge it that it is a 5 week course. I am trying to get it extended to a full semester, but it will be a while. Thanks again, and please keep the comments coming! I am glad to see that we all think alike, this way I know I am pointing them in the right direction.

Photographer

Writing is not actually that big a deal. Remember we shoot pictures and gather sound. What you need to remember is to not write but get your interview subjects to "SAY and SPELL their name ON TAPE". I say that because your tape will probably get handed off several times and a loose piece of paper could get lost in the shuffle. Also if anyone has a question about pronounciation (sp?) there is always the tape.

Salty Dog

I'd say one of the biggest mistakes that I've seen newbies make is behaving like they know everything already. The newbies that know they are new and are willing to learn from their mistakes and take advice go much farther and faster than the newbies that act like they own the shop shortly after arriving.

Attitude is key to learning to shoot well.

Photog Cowboi

PRO user
Thank you photographer! I will do that!

Soupy...I am still learning! So if there is anything you or anyone else want to pass on...please tell me! I ask a lot of questions and remember one day that I got railed for not doing the things I mentioned in my posts (it was by a photog from Amarillo!). But seriously...any lingo or tech stuff you all want to share...let me know! Thank you!

KsPhotog

The best assignment I ever had was to shoot a park bench 25 different ways. I wish I had a nickel for every non-visual story I had to make visual! I just go back to the park bench assignment and it helps me make it through the story!
Merry

Similar to the park bench...
I worked for a chief who would make his new photogs shoot a VO about the run down shack in back of the station. He would make up a story about the shack and have the new guy shoot and edit it.

focusthis

It's all about time.

I graduated with a B.S. (appropriate) in Television/Film. Don't let the film classes inspire the future news photog to spend an hour setting up an interview. Drill into them the need to work intelligently and efficiently. Have a story in mind, and shoot that for the edit bay. Wide medium tight, clean, relevant, and usable sound. Understand what white balancing does. Action/reaction. Discuss how automatic settings are a crutch. Touch on ethics if you can, or sell it as the reason you need a full course!

Sportsguy

Originally posted by Photog Cowboi:
And yes...I do white balance (every time), I hold shots for 25 seconds or longer depending on time and...I make sure I record and write the person I am interviewings' name.
Egad! 25 seconds(or longer)? I hope you're shooting on 184 minute tapes, cause that sounds a bit excessive to me.

I hold 'em for 15, max. I don't regularly get all day to shoot a story, nor do I want to shuffle through hours of tape just to get to that one shot I need...

Photog Cowboi

PRO user
Originally posted by focusthis:
It's all about time.

I graduated with a B.S. (appropriate) in Television/Film.
Focus...I couldn't agree more...my b.s. degree is being used as a piece of toilet paper!

Menlow

Originally posted by Photog Cowboi:
my b.s. degree is being used as a piece of toilet paper!
Have a little respect for your school! I can't beleive you feel you wasted your time there. I have a BA in Communication that I agree does not mean a whole lot, but it does mean I have the drive to seek a higher education and stick with it to the end. I think that employers note that in the back of their head when they consider hiring you.

Now that I said this I apologize to anyone here who does not have a colege diploma, this is not meant to dis anyone.

Photog Cowboi

PRO user
Menlow...I don't feel like I wasted my time there in that sense. Mind you...it took me 5 years and out of the five...I had 2 good years where the professors and the TV Station really stuck it to me and always gave me a new challenge everyday. The one challenged me in how I think the media works and my sense of communication theory. The other challenged me in the way I shoot, edit, do special effects, write and produce! I love those two and keep them posted on EVERYTHING I do just about. Hell...I hope to see one of them during the Christmas Holiday. So...I don't feel like I wasted time there...I feel like...I got the real education in two years and the other three just expanded my mind about subjects I had no clue about.

Dedline

hey teach, if you're still checking messages, look for this book somewhere. its old and dated im sure but it ws called ENG technology and storytelling or something like that, by Larry Hatteberg I think. I have it at work, email me if you want the definite name. It's too long for 5 weeks likely but at least u can make up some kind of curriculum outta the table of contents. :)
dedlinenj@yahoo.com

SHOOT4U

One of the most common mistakes I see from new photogs, is that they don't get enough cutaways. Explain the importance on them. Make sure they understand what a "relevant cataway" is. Make sure they understand that good clean cutaways can get you out of a jam. You can change your axis(point of veiw, if you subject's nose is pointing screen right, and the next shot you have is screen left, a good cutaway can transition you and can keep your continuity), as well as, depending on where you are at, it can be a good transition from inside to outside or vice versa.

CHIEFPHOTDOG

I'm in a small market in fact we're a petty good starter market for those wanting to start in the biz. The one thing I believe new comers need to realize is news is not a job but in fact a way of life.

g0uld

Originally posted by Photographer:
Writing is not actually that big a deal. Remember we shoot pictures and gather sound.
I would have to disagree with this one! In order to tell your story through pictures and sound, you must first think of the words that go along with those pics and nats. Total comprehension of the finished product will take you a long way. True, in the end you probably don't have to write the piece but it will help your story telling to know how to. Because face it, if you can't tell a story on paper, how the hell are you going to tell one with pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.