New life for old clamps

Nino

I can see that this new “PRO forum” is turning political just like the main forum, I was really hoping that these things stayed where it was. Maybe it’s time to also have a forum for VJ/CJ topics.

Let me try to brake the mold and start occasionally posting little items that might be a bit more useful to our work. Maybe this might encourage other professionals in this new forum to do the same.

I don’t know how many of you hang lights from ceilings instead of using stands. I imagine not many in the news business do that.

I have at least a few jobs every month that I have to do it. This mostly on multiple cameras shoots where light stands would be in somebody’s picture.

Hanging the lights using scissor clamps isn’t the problem, but what to do with all the wires running across the ceiling has always been a pain.

This is when I decided to give old A clamps a new life. When the plastic tip brake the clamp becomes useless so I’ve been throwing them into a bin hoping one day to find some new uses, and finally I did.

By simply bending the tips of the clamps a new item was born. Now I have a very easy and fast way to hold wires overhead.

Even if you have to go and buy new clamps it’s worth it. Home Depot has the cheaper ones for $0.99c each.

For hanging light I use LED lights, on this set-up I used six Cool Lights plus a few other lights on the floor where stands were not in the way. For lenghty shoots LED are ideal because they don't weight much, generate no heat and take very little power allowing us to use smaller electrical cords running across the ceiling.

I can’t show the entire set-up yet because this a one hour long feature still in the making. I will after it air sometime in April.

Lensmith

Brilliant Nino!

A simple, inexpensive solution to a situation we all may run into whether it's freelance or local staff.

Don't want to go off on a tangent...but quickly...apart from setting up a "PRO twin" forum for every section here, I don't see how we can't have a mix of topics in this one PRO section. Just having the names is going to make it easier for Kev to monitor and control things to the benefit of all.

Got to go man! Off to Home Depot to get some cheap clamps! No joke! I ran into this very problem last week and now I have a realistic solution! Thanks again! ;)

Great idea Nino! I have always used trick line or rope to hold up the cables... but this is a great idea! Thanks for the tip!

couryhouse

Amazing... so many areas go into have these drop ceilings! Thanks... this is easier than my hooks I made of coat hanger!

Last edited:

zac love

How long until we see these for sale at photo stores for $20 a pop? :)

Thanks for the tip Nino!