New Fleet Options

David R. Busse

Thomas--I am told the great unknown cost with Hybrids is the battery replacement somewhere down the road. Most say that batteries will probably be cheaper when the time comes, but nobody can really tell me what that means in hard cash.

My wife leases the Toyota Highlander hybrid--a very stellar performer on the road--and I have considered the Ford Escape Hybrid as a posibility for my personal use sometime in the future.

A friend in Canada owns two Escapes (not Hybrid) and swears by them. I think you are making a wise choice for a small-market news vehicle...just give some careful thought to how you "package" the gear in the back.

BTW--are you buying these vehicles thru your local dealer under the Ford "X" plan (media discount)? That could save you a few more bucks.

I still have a box of stuff in my unit that I want to drop off at your office the next time I'm in the neighborhood...

micaelb

I just did a comparison at the Ford website between the 2008 Escape Hybrid and the 2008 Escape. I added the Jeep Patriot just because I like Jeeps. Here's what stood out to me:

The Hybrid adds $5000 over the other Escape and $8000 more than the Jeep so you would have to save about 1200 gallons of fuel over the Escape or 2000 gallons over the Jeep to make it worthwhile. The savings of the hybrid are mostly in the city, on the highway it's rated the same as the Jeep but still better then the 'regular' Escape.

My math would be to figure the fuel cost based on how far you drive. Say 25,000 miles a year? Fuel cost of $4?
Escape Hybrid, 806 gallons per year, $3224.
Escape, 1,136 gallons per year, $4544.
Jeep, 925 gallons per year, $3700.

So...according to my math, in just over 3 years the Hybrid pays for itself compared to the Escape but the savings over the Jeep wouldn't be until you've had it for 15+ years.

Why do I like Jeeps? We have 2 Cherokees in our fleet with over 200,000 miles on them and another well over 100,000. They just keep on ticking...with some repairs of course. I've never been in a Patriot.

We also have a couple of Saturn Vues and they've been good performers too. The composite body panels have been tested by a drunk guy on a bike and a couple of minor bumps...no dents, no rust.

fleet

I realize that there are big differences in pricing between the US and Canada, but would the Ford Freestyle be out of the question. It comes in all wheel drive and has a ton of room for gear. Also I really liked the Dodge Nitro. It has a rollout shelf in the cargo area rated at 400 lbs. It doesn't come in a "green" version, so it didn't meet my guidelines.

Just my 2 cents.

Peter Dworschak / Supervising Cameraman, CityNews / CP24

Lead, follow or get out of my shot!

David R. Busse

I realize that there are big differences in pricing between the US and Canada, but would the Ford Freestyle be out of the question. It comes in all wheel drive and has a ton of room for gear. Also I really liked the Dodge Nitro. It has a rollout shelf in the cargo area rated at 400 lbs. It doesn't come in a "green" version, so it didn't meet my guidelines.

Just my 2 cents.

Peter Dworschak / Supervising Cameraman, CityNews / CP24

I understand the Canadian version comes with a form-fitted recepticle between the front seats for a box of Timbits.

mmmmmm, Timbits!

...plus, our trucks come with optional roof cages. We get to keep any Road Kill we find. It makes a great dried snack while you're waiting for a newser to start or to bribe a cop for info.

Peter.

Just Wondering

I just did a comparison at the Ford website between the 2008 Escape Hybrid and the 2008 Escape. I added the Jeep Patriot just because I like Jeeps. Here's what stood out to me:

The Hybrid adds $5000 over the other Escape and $8000 more than the Jeep so you would have to save about 1200 gallons of fuel over the Escape or 2000 gallons over the Jeep to make it worthwhile. The savings of the hybrid are mostly in the city, on the highway it's rated the same as the Jeep but still better then the 'regular' Escape.

My math would be to figure the fuel cost based on how far you drive. Say 25,000 miles a year? Fuel cost of $4?
Escape Hybrid, 806 gallons per year, $3224.
Escape, 1,136 gallons per year, $4544.
Jeep, 925 gallons per year, $3700.

So...according to my math, in just over 3 years the Hybrid pays for itself compared to the Escape but the savings over the Jeep wouldn't be until you've had it for 15+ years.

Why do I like Jeeps? We have 2 Cherokees in our fleet with over 200,000 miles on them and another well over 100,000. They just keep on ticking...with some repairs of course. I've never been in a Patriot.

We also have a couple of Saturn Vues and they've been good performers too. The composite body panels have been tested by a drunk guy on a bike and a couple of minor bumps...no dents, no rust.
I looked into the Hybrid.... I bought two for our fleet. I am VERY happy with that purchase. One drawback....The battery system from manufacturer is in question, had to replace it within 8 months (it was the first one)....BUY the extened warranty. I have NOT had a battery problem with the second Hybrid, so it may have been a fluke that the first one was bad.

All in all the gas bill has been reduced dramaticly. I would have to say that I have saved the cost difference between the 3 different vehicles I have looked at.

By the way....the cost of the new batteries was about $2,5000. so GET THE WARRANTY

dw438

Thank you to ALL that has provided some valuable feedback. This is why B-Roll Forum is a good place.

My budget is a hard $20k per unit. No if, ands and buts. That has been made clear.

I looked into the Tucsons, just a little too compact for our needs, and the local dealer here was unwilling to work with us... small town business in full effect--inexperience and unfamiiar on B2B transactions. Their loss... The local sales manager didn't even return my calls.

Nissan... only if I had a few $k more...

We have a long-time (15+ year successful advertiser) Ford dealer that has, and is willing to work with us--and has worked with us--on many transactions. It looks like at this point we'll be going with the Ford Escape. Not quite like the Explorer, some compromises will need to be made, but given the $$ I was given, I think its the best I could go with.

The way gas prices are going... I think I don't have a choice to go with more fuel efficient vehicles. I still may make a play to corp. to get the hybrid model and demonstrate the fuel savings of $4.00/gal over several years. As it stands now, we're at $3.25/gal. here on the central coast and I fully expect it to hit near $4/gal by summer's end--and that's with fleet fuel discounts! The big ?? is the long term maintenance costs of maintaining a hybrid. Any out there have any experience in that? I basically need to compute it down to a cents-per-mile comparison between the traditional and hybrid platforms... that seems to be the most dramatic presentation to make to upper management.

Its a give and take world... fortunately I have the support of other management internally to keep with an SUV platform and not compromise with a sedan or other car in this rugged coastal environment.

TM
Good idea with the Escape.
Go go one step further and get the hybrid FWD version. Great gas mileage, well-engineered [for Ford, even] and is getting good grades from some people who drive their vehicles extremely hard for a living - New York City taxi drivers. Matter of fact, one NYC taxi driver is as of this writing driving a retired couple from the borough of Queens to their retirement home in Sedona, AZ.
He's saving a ton in gas costs.
FYI re: Escape hybrid taxis ...
On your coast. some fleets in SFO use them, too.
The back is roomy enough for all needed gear. You may also get some tax credits, probably some "green" tax credits from the state, positive advertising from the dealer ... positive publicity for using a "green" vehicle ... sure Ah-nold's government likes that.
There may not be any long-term data yet for hybrid costs, as the oldest Ford models have only been on the road since late 2004.
Since you will have them on the road daily, you'll probably be on the "severe" maintenance schedule ... oil changes every 5k instead of 10, etc.
best source of info: go to http://www.fleet.ford.com ... many open areas there in regard to Escape hybrid information ... owners' manuals, too.

TEM

Good idea with the Escape.
Go go one step further and get the hybrid FWD version. Great gas mileage, well-engineered [for Ford, even] and is getting good grades from some people who drive their vehicles extremely hard for a living - New York City taxi drivers. Matter of fact, one NYC taxi driver is as of this writing driving a retired couple from the borough of Queens to their retirement home in Sedona, AZ.
He's saving a ton in gas costs.
FYI re: Escape hybrid taxis ...
On your coast. some fleets in SFO use them, too.
The back is roomy enough for all needed gear. You may also get some tax credits, probably some "green" tax credits from the state, positive advertising from the dealer ... positive publicity for using a "green" vehicle ... sure Ah-nold's government likes that.
There may not be any long-term data yet for hybrid costs, as the oldest Ford models have only been on the road since late 2004.
Since you will have them on the road daily, you'll probably be on the "severe" maintenance schedule ... oil changes every 5k instead of 10, etc.
best source of info: go to http://www.fleet.ford.com ... many open areas there in regard to Escape hybrid information ... owners' manuals, too.
I hear ya... but budget is hard. I've pitched the Hybrid savings potential to my managers (even with current gas prices here at $3.30+/gal), but its falling on deaf ears in BFL and S-A. Its hard sometimes to see the forest through the trees in big corporate settings.

A Native Central Coast Californian,
TM

pre-set

Under $20K? How 'bout Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 doors? I think they start around $19K (w/ 4wd, $18K w/o - I think).

Nooze Hound

The station I worked at had subaru wagons.
Decent little cars, plenty of room in the back for big bags, and gear, plus the seats fold down so there was no limit to what I would be able to haul.
The AWD was AWESOME in winter (I'll admit, i even tried to get it stuck a time or two. But it kept getting out) However, AWD is not good if it's summer, or you live in an area that doesn't snow like Minnesota. It sucks the gas as comparted to a standard 2wd. The interior seemed cheap, but that's because it was. This is a car for business purposes.

Chuxty

We use Jeep Liberty's for our fleet. 3.7l six and some good all-terrain tires make a very formidable "spelling?" news vehicle. These suckers are pretty quick and nimble. I have one over 115,000 miles and with all oil changes every 3,000 miles it still purrs like a kitten. We just got a Ford Freestyle and man that sucker rides great but a little low to the ground so you have to take the curbs a little slow. Other than that it's a very nice news vehicle also.

satop

i just got an escape hybrid for my personal vehicle...would probally make a good news car. Also here is another option if you want to go hybrid route, I read where Chevy is coming out with a Tahoe Hybrid in 2008. not sure on price or milliage.