Need advice on what to do from a chief's prospective...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BookerT

Ok vets I have a scenerio that needs your expertise on.My former c-worker here in Dayton (a photog) has been out of the biz for 3 years after times as a promotion/production guy in Detroit and looking to get back in.The station is offering a photog position of 29k plus overtime.

The guy wants more jack,naturally.The ND and Chief really like him and offred him the gig and invited him to our station meeting last week before he was even extended the official offer.The guy was a helluva shooter and has pals on the staff here.He wants back in to get into possibly sports producing or even back in production here in Dayton,so he wants to just be in and he can makes moves from there.How do you negoiate for more money with having the offer to get back on the beach pulled? I told him to just take it.

He's working at a bank right now.He's tried to address these issues with the managemnet here prior to accepting.They've been really busy and have wanted to go into details AFTER he starts.I told him to send follow up e-mails with the ND and chief today,letting them know that he wants to be clear on a few things prior to his possible start date (they want him to start on Monday).If these conditions are met he can agree to start,if not he needs to tell them thanks but no thanks.

Imachief

I can't speak for the folks in Dayton, but when I make someone a job offer, I give them exactly what's in the budget. Period.

Why? Because I have a philosophical opposition to "lowballing" anyone. We work way too hard for that crap. Second, I'm too busy to hear someone gripe about how they got "hosed" on the paycheck.

I would seriously advise your friend to get everything in order BEFORE he starts ANY job. If there are conditions he cannot live with now, and he takes the job...they'll never change. UNLESS, he gets something in writing from the ND/GM.

If someone offered me a job with details like money left hanging in the wind, I would politely turn them down. I would also explain exactly why I was turning it down.

If a potential employer it "too busy" to hammer out arrangements with someone before they take a job, imagine how "too busy" those employers will be after the employee is on the job.

Just my $.02

Chicago Dog

Originally posted by BookerT:
They've been really busy and have wanted to go into details AFTER he starts.
That's crap. If they like him that much and think he's that good, they'd find time. It's not like he's asking them to write War and Peace or something. I'd have good reason to be leery if I found myself in this situation.

Originally posted by BookerT:
If these conditions are met he can agree to start,if not he needs to tell them thanks but no thanks.
I'm unclear as to what advice you're looking for? You've answered your own question.

[ April 07, 2005, 02:30 AM: Message edited by: Chicago Dog ]

LongTimePhotog

i ONCE TOOK A NEW JOB WHEN i GOT THE nd TO WRITE DOWN i'M GETTING A DAY SHIFT/TAKE HOME CAR AND GEAR AND A TRIP TO THE nppa WORKSHOP. DON'T DO AFTER THE FACT...YOU'LL GET SCREWED.

DOGNEWS

One thing to make a better pitch for more pay is to make sure the title position is not just photographer. You may add Eng operator along with the other. what this will do is that the position is now also a technical positon running live truck. in the eyes of the mgr this person has more then a photog skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.