Nearfield monitors

PHX Shooter

Looking for a new pair of powered nearfeild monitors. I need these to get accurate audio for Web based video. Any favorites? Would also like to keep it lower in price, having state of the art monitors doesn't help me know what the average Web Joe is listening to.

Necktie Boy

Well, no matter how good your monitors are, you will end up checking the sound on some cheap computer speakers. When I check my final mix, I end listening to a stereo TV set speakers.
Good monitor will make should that you have clean sound, but if you know that it is only for web-base work, you should have a set of everyday speakers that a computer user may have. This way you have an idea how they will sound over the net.

PHX Shooter

Agreed, but at the same time, you need a set of monitors with a relatively flat frequency response for sweetening. Regular speakers typically have a frequency response that is tuned to make that specific model sound good, so you won't be reliably accurate across a wide array of users who will have anything from a cheap set that came with the computer to an aftermarket speaker set with a separate sub-woofer.

circle7

You can trust anything in the Genelec line. That's all I'll put into a studio. I also like the Mackie 824s. I recommend you don't go cheap on speakers. They hold their value well if you take care of them, and the technology doesn't change much. Even though you're only using the audio on the web, you need to know with accuracy what you have, and what you're doing to it.

Last edited:

The Green

I use BX-8s for editing with nice results. Granted they are not Genelec or Mackie 824's but they are lower in price and a huge set up from computer speakers.