NC Photog Dies After Falling Down Airshaft

WLOS Photog Has Died!

Our photography staff lost a very talented guy today in John Billingsley. Words can't express what we are feeling right now! John was a local boy with tons of talent. He was the only photog who still edited tape to tape and he made it work! John was a former NPPA member who was opening to learning everyday. This is a very sad day for people of WNC. It's a good reminder to tell your loved ones you love them. We loved you John!

http://www.wbtv.com/global/story.asp?s=11836056

Lensmith

I checked the link...and was surprised to read a story without his name attached.

It made me wonder if he was the victim or if it was a bad link.

If true...his life ended too early.

jumpkutz

Just go to WLOS home page for info on John. Prayers and condolences to Charlotte market folks.

b-roll

Administrator
Staff member

javary

As a former coworker of John's I was shocked and saddened to hear the news. WLOS lost a talented shooter and good guy, a guy I consider a friend. My heart goes out to his family and his extended family in TV news...

jumpkutz

Allow me to extend further condolences to those of you who actually worked with John in Greenville/Asheville/Spartanburg market. I didn't realize WLOS was actually in Asheville. Again, Thoughts and prayers to all affected.

Imachief

John left his beloved North Carolina mountains and came to work for me for a brief time. I remember him as a good natured young man on a quest to be the best he could be. Unfortunately for me, the call of home was too great and he returned to WLOS.

We are saddend by his passing. I am grateful for the opportunity to know him, and for the opportunity to work along side him. I remember him well, and pray for his friends, family, and colleagues.

Our community has suffered a loss, and we are greiving.

SeattleShooter

My thoughts and prayers to his family and friends. It hits hard when you read how young he was. Stay strong, out hearts are with those that knew him!

JimmyS.

It's always difficult to learn when a friend and collegue leaves us. This kid was so young, too young for this to happen. I was in high school when this kid was born. My thoughts and prayers are with John, his family, and friends.

A few years ago, one of my "kids", a young man I trained, from the Gitzo tripod to the the editing system, died in an auto accident. Chris Cloppas was young as well. He was talented, funny, and a hard worker. Chris' dream was to work in movies. One of the last times I spoke with him... I took him to lunch and gave him some paperwork and info on a steady-cam class that was going on in Austin.
Now, I wish I woulda tried to talk him out of going back to teach at the New York Film Camp. Chris.. You had a lot of friends down here... Just like John. Although I didn't know John, I'm sure he and Chris coulda been friends. I'm sure they are upstairs talking about the latest camera technology.

Rest In Peace.

Last edited: