Mother's Day Fatal Ax

KFobe02

Hey Guys,

I'm back! I have quite happily gotten a job in South Bend, and have been working as a photographer for about 2 months. I work at a brand-new HD start up station called ABC57 WBND. I work weekends, holidays, and occasional weekdays and go to school still during the week.

Anyway, I shot this pkg by myself, edited it, and did the interviews and got the information. I took it back to the station and the anchor packed it as our lead story for the 11'o'clock news tonight (Mother's Day).

Tell me what you think...

http://vimeo.com/23461562

Obviously, I am still new at this so any and all critiques would be awesome, even things like better questions I could ask or more creative ways I could shoot video of nothing. I know a few of you guys are special projects, and that's something I really want to do in the future, so help getting there would be appreciated also.

Thanks!

Fobe

Ben Longden

Tastefully done.
Fatals are always a hard one to cover... also so emotional.
Its also why I dislike Easter; six dead, two cars, one prang.

For what its worth, the exposure on the int was a little low. The pan from the sky (32 sec) went up then down..

Thats the down side. The upside is that it made me shudder... two innocent cyclists cleaned up; on Mothers Day no less.

Now... living in a glass house, I would have been proud to have shot and cut that package.

Latin Lens

Wow what a tragedy first of all...and on Mother's Day no less...heartbreaking. This type of story is rough especially without accident scene video...so you're way behind the curve out of the gate...so your best friend here is variety and art...not only to help tell a entertaining story but to avoid being so upfront with the ugliness of an accident (blood on the road)...So you'll need to shoot a lot of video...go down the road a half-mile and shoot back at the spot...use highway signs to help me with location...use whatever info that is in the police report to think of b-roll ideas to get out on scene. The more you shoot the better off you are and the more creative and artsy you can be...the better off the story will be in the end. Apply that to your intvs as well...no need to be too artsy here but do some variety...wide, medium, and tight...emotional soundbites are better on a tight shot so I can really see the emotion in their face. Tastefully done...nothing special but you need to create that to help out in the entertainment value aspect.

Last edited:

KFobe02

So do you think my problem was I just didn't shoot enough video? or that the video I shot just was not artsy enough? I thought about going behind the house the accident took place in front of and doing some foreground/background stuff but I didn't know if I was even allowed too. I guess I could have gotten more creative.

Latin Lens

Kinda sorta...not really

So do you think my problem was I just didn't shoot enough video? or that the video I shot just was not artsy enough? I thought about going behind the house the accident took place in front of and doing some foreground/background stuff but I didn't know if I was even allowed too. I guess I could have gotten more creative.
A little yes and no...only because while its so easy to shoot a road...it can be pretty boring because its a road...so you need to add that visual flair to help entertain my eyes with pretty interesting pictures...foreground/background is a great thing to do with the proper shots...just as much varitey as possible...tight shots...even ultra tight shots will help you just as wide and ultra wide will to give a better location to the scene...you did a good job and if you have time this is a chance to experiment a little by going artsy....see what shots look good and record it...watch it back in the edit bay and see if it fits...the more you have to work with the better off you will be come edit time. Its hard to see the shots but they are there if you just wonder around a bit and keep your eyes open. Keep plugging Kyle...you're doing fine.