Marked-unmarked units

dLL

Seems like the bi-annual debate of marking news units is upon our shop. I'd like an informal survey of top 50 markets. Anyone?

PhrozenPhoto

In Minneapolis 3 of the 4 stations go unmarked... the ABC is marked on everything, the Fox has live trucks marked only, the CBS has nothing marked, and the NBC has very subtle markings on the live trucks (just a small logo on the doors on the van... except one live truck that I think is the oldest that has some sort of WX related graphics) Having been in both marked and now unmarked, I will take the unmarked anyday of the week.

Spot remover

I'll chime in as a #64 market.

21 vehicles, 19 of them marked.

Two are not. Mine and the I-teams unit. The I-team's reason is obvious and mine as sort of a back up to that.

In this market, a marked vehicle is something of a rolling press pass. Camera theft and crime in general is not much of an issue here, so being marked doesn't scream "steal me" to potential thiefs.

However, if I had my way, I would only mark the live trucks (after all, what else could they be?) and leave the vehicles unmarked.

If I had my way.

amp

Half and Half

Most of our older news units here in Richmond are marked. I'm trying to keep our new replacement units unmarked. Just more flexibility when you pull up to a scene. The ONLY time it is good to be market is when you park illegally on the sidewalk. Even then, that is why I have a big "MEDIA PARKING" plaque that I put on the dash.

dLL

Thanks for the input.

But...apparently there was no debate. "Steal my stuff" will be plastered on our trucks and that will surely get new viewers. We need some new gear anyway.

texshooter

In San Antonio (Market 37)...
WOAI-Unmarked
KSAT-Unmarked
KENS-75% Marked
Univision & Telemundo-Marked
KABB-Unmarked
I believe everyone has marked live and sat trucks, for the most part , although there may be a couple of new trucks, as yet unmarked in town.

The problem with magnetic logo panels is the look good, until they get dirty, or about a week old, or a photog folds them up and puts them under the back seat for 3 months, then they won't lie flat on the car, and look like crap.

In market #4, everything is marked, except for a couple of investigative unit vehicles and a couple of the Ford Exploders from the CBS station.

Guy Critique

Marked/Un Marked

I am a huge opponent to Marked Cars. They make us targets and can make us the story if something happens.

On the hypocritical side all of the WGCL fleet except for 3 are rolling billboards, not my choice.

On the other side it is a huge marketing tool and rolling billboards do generate viewers.

Journalistically I object, but we do what we gotta do sometimes.

code20photog

We just bought (Actually managment just shoved down our throat) 2 new vehicles, and they have yet to be marked. We have 8 vehicles (6 cruisers, 2 vans), all marked, or soon to be.

Have had more problems with access and people even believing I'm from the news without the logo on the door.

Our newer vehicles have a smaller logo on the door and one on the upper left of the tailgate. Probably about 30 inches by 20 inches, real subtle.

We do take our vehicles home, and my GF hates riding in the marked vehicle. I would like to to see us get all-white magnets to cover the logo when we take them home, or when we need some discretion.

The new vehicles are getting logos today, but I have always liked the idea of magnet logos to be able to take them off when we don't need to advertise. (And for our talent when they have to drive thier own vehicles) We just had a unit involved in a major accident, and it would have been nice to get rid of the billboard on the side. (Thank goodness we have a good relationship with our competition, and they covered the wreck without mentioning we were involved.)

Last edited:

pinecone

Guy Critique said:
On the other side it is a huge marketing tool and rolling billboards do generate viewers.
That sounds like a marketing/promotions person answer. I totally disagree.

People don't watch our news because we have marked trucks. But, they do call the station when photogs speed. Yeah, we never do that do we?

Widescreen

Like all these things, it is an endless debate. In our case, marking cars is not determined by product/corporate placement, but cost.

Cost determines which style and how much of the car is covered and also the cost of removal when we change cars. That was an expense no one factored till we needed to upgrade cars. We lease the fleet so after 3 yrs they have to go back clean.

Certainly a marked car has distinct advantages, no need to spell them out, but there are the disadvantages as well, again all the arguments for and against have been said.

For us, marked cars give us certain parking privileges. Parking fines are a huge problem with many restrictions on parking in the city. The final decision came down to marking cars, and a select few for program reasons remain blank but carry magnetic signs.

dw438

Market #1

Local stations mw/satellite: All marked. Unfortunately. A-hole magnets.
Most stations have white vans.
WNYW/Fox (naturally) is black.
WABC's are the traditional (for them) dark blue.
Networks: Some (NBC) marked, most aren't, but all of the large ones due to NY State motor vehicle law have readable information about their owner/city/weight on the driver's side door. (example: National Broadcasting Co; Long Island City, NY, 20,000 GVW)
ABC News NY used to have a m/w van painted in their distinctive ABC light blue, used to be called the "Blue Goose". This was back in the goldenrod days.
Sedans/SUV's: Only News 12 marks their sedans.
Most news vehicles have "NYP" plates (even those registered in NJ and CT) to take advantage of special parking, plus permits from the NYPD.

Tx

Tx

Here in Houston I would say all of the news trucks are unmarked with most of the satations. But most of all the live trucks,and sat trucks are marked. We use a station card in the dash when we park,or need access to a scene. Unmarked is the best way to go.

Wally-ktp

Dan R.

I have used magnet logos on my vehicle with good results. Two 36"x7" side magnets and one 16"x4" rear magnet, all in full color, cost about $250 to have made. They are surprisingly robust and will not budge at all for anything once they are on the car. It is nice to transform the car into a 'normal' vehicle when I want to.

When they are removed, they must be stored flat. Even the slightest 'curve' or kink during storage is hard to remove, you have to rest heavy books on them for a couple of hours to flatten them. Cleaning them is not a problem, dirt wipes off easily with a wet rag.

I have got to the point where I prefer to have a normal looking vehicle, and only use the magnets when they will help with parking, access and/or adding legitimacy. I haven't found that the attention from the general public that they receive has resulted in any real benefit.

Last year I had the magnets on the car for over four months straight, including shooting in Hurricane Rita and about 30,000 miles of cross country travel in all types of weather. They never budged or required any attention from me. When I was done I just took them inside.

Scannerhound

The Thing on The Sticks said:
Im not a chief but what about the magnetic logo panels that you can remove when you don't want them?

Geoff
We tried that about 14 years ago. It seemed to be a good idea at the time. Sadly someone discovered that they could come off and took them.