looking @ resume tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

camdogg

I am not a chief but I was asked to look at tapes. Out of 13 tapes only 5 were ok. Some of the shooting was bad, stories were bad, it was rough to look at. Are you all finding the same problems or am I just to picky? I mean a college tape that had the hand holding the mic in the shot.... Who teaches that??

Yes I had to look at tapes, and hire photogs. I worked at a small market station and for many of the photogs it was their first job in the biz.

You kinda have to look past the mistakes, bad stories, and look for potential. Sure the story sucked, but he had an inventive shot, framed good, knew when to use sticks, a little rough around the edges maybe but workable.

seperate the tapes into 3 stacks, those that are painfull to watch (trash), those you may need to look at again, and those you liked.

If your at a larger market station then the above won't really pertain.

But in small market the "kids" have no resume per se, only media classes, and McDonald's for a reference.

It's not like you can call up the chief and ask about them.

Currentchief

Ahhh...potential.

What an elusive quality. Looking past the hand mic holding, jump cuts, poor quality gear and loose editing for some nugget of ability.

Listen to the reporter track and see how they edit to it. Look at framing, pacing and general feel of the piece. Watch it once, put it down and return a few days later to watch it again- this time with the sound off. Do the shot choices make sense? Can you tell what's going on w/o the reporter? And finally, what's your overall sense when the tape's over?

Then shake the Magic 8 ball and do what it says.

good luck!

SmlMktChief

I agree with Currentchief...can they edit to track, are the shots rock solid, are the interviews set up correctly? It is easy to see if they have an EYE for shooting. Some people can't compose a shot, that will tell if they will become a good shooter.

tonyfalcone

While the stick mic bothers me as well, I would not let it get in the way of wanting to hire someone. If they can shoot, edit and show they can think on the fly then I will consider them.

Mr MoOz

Also if they are coming from college, take a look at what and how they teach. Years back I took a gamble on a gal who had a so so tape out of school. Checked with the school, they did not teach squat for photography. There are more factors at play with fresh meat.
Things I looked at were, the tape (yes), the way they presented themselves ( this was the labeling, Cv, Res, any clue to work habit), lots of phone calls, and last of all the gut check.

It is not easy, but hiring someone for small market is hard and a gamble. The good ones will always leave you. The bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.