LIVE capture on location

hamcam

I'm looking for ideas in advance of a film festival this fall so that I can capture press conferences into a laptop to cut down the time it will take to edit them for a daily turnaround.

Using a Sony DSR500WS firewire out to the laptop... I will be hooking up an external HD to the laptop to store the captured DV. Still not sure if the HD will be on USB 2.0 or a firewire hub. Not even sure yet if the 4pin Firewire i/o on the computer will support a Firewire Hub.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Canonman

Just don't be trying to capture video from a camera onto an external firewire drive when both are on the same firewire bus. USB 2.0 is also not considered fast enough to capture to in real time. You might have to go to your internal drive initially then dump off to an external drive afterwards.

cm

Necktie Boy

I use an older PC laptop to capture video to an USB 2.0 drive. I have never had any problems. I made sure it was at least 7200 rpm and formated as NTFS drive. I use Premiere Pro.

The Daywood

Adobe has an application called "OnLocation" as part of the CS2 and CS3 suites...It gives you real time scopes, level metering, timecode, timeclock, space remaining, and a bunch of other stuff....

There is also one of their apps which allows you to switch in a real basic manner....