light kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewChief

We are looking at getting some new light kits. Just wondering if anyone has a recomendation on a set that isnt too much $$ - but will get the job done for every day use. I appreciate your help!

micaelb

I've gotten some kits from Lowel, the "Go-92" kit I think. It has 2 Prolights, stands and barndoors for about $500. There's room in the case for more stuff as you get it but for a small kit it works pretty well.
I add some swing-in filters (diffusion and dichroic) and dimmers from Home Depot and it's pretty functional.

Run&Gun

For everyday local news, Lowels will probably be the best bang-for-the-buck, they're relatively inexpensive, fairly tough, and you can fix just about any part of them that may break. Ask anybody on here and they'll probably say Lowels were the first lights they used.

satpimp

The Lowell Rifa is a great Compact solution for a whole lot of lighting variables. Lightning fast set up, soft light, dimable, controllable with eggcrates and very portable. Good bang for the buck. A big Rifa, a Scrim Jim set Silks & Screens, and a 250 LTM Pepper will get you through a lot of situations admirably. Add a 400 watt hmi and you can fake your way through most any single subject live shot.

Shootblue

I've got two totas, a pro light, and a 300 watt fresnel. Coupled with some light modifiers, it can make things look really good. One thing I would reccomend is a couple umbrellas for the lights. They are cheap and can make things look real good quickly. Not ideal, but quick. I know that you have a budget, but get all you can. If that means only having two kits instead of four, then so be it. I've got all that crap in my car, but I might use it once a week. Establish a checkout system and enforce it and you will be fine.

The other thing you might look at, if you are using a frezzi system, I have my frezzi on a stand (3/8 stud). It is powered by an NP-1. This is a great solution to run and gun. I can adjust the intensity by moving the stand back and forth, adjust height, and if you place it like a normal light would be, in the reporter sandwhich method, it can make the average shot look tremendous compared to if you turned on the oncamera light on the same plane as the camera shoots.

SHOOT4U

I order most of my stuff from here item #'s and prices inluded"

1-800-944-2852
Winston-Salem, NC

Lowel Light Kit
2-light-set-(GO-92LBZ) $495
3-light set- All Pro Kit
(P1-93ULBZ) $760
Gel holder- (IP-40) $20

SHOOT4U

the above post didn't have the company name on it.
the company is Eclipse Lighting, they also have great deals on batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.