Life Through a Viewfinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

flipflops

As photographers we get to do alot of cool stuff. Just the other day I got to ride with the Red Baron Planes. It was the best ride of my life and it was great to capture on video, I just wish I could do it again without the camera and just take it all in without the viewfinder. Just wondering if anyone else wishes they could do somethings twice.

Shaky & Blue

When I was just getting started in news I was sent on my first plane crash story. These two guys were flying around in a single-engine Cessna 150 spotting forest fires, when a valve stuck in the engine and power dropped to 50%. They were losing altitude and knew they couldn't make it back to the airport; but being over timberland, there was no place to land.

The pilot was trying to make it to a paved road at the edge of the forest, but was coming up short. Instead, he ended up settling for a narrow, dirt forest road; but instead of trying to land on it longways, he approached at an angle. As he crossed low and slow over the road, he intentionally stalled the aircraft. Stalling has nothing to do with the engine; it's like pulling back on the yoke and "stopping" in midair--but then you fall. He stalled the plane over the road and dropped into the trees beside it, flipping over in the process, with the two guys ending up hanging upside down in their seat belts. They walked away with some nasty cuts and bruises, but nothing serious. When I say they walked away, I mean they hiked out a couple of miles to a house at the edge of the forest.

He went for that logging road so they COULD walk away, or at least so that emergency vehicles could get to them instead of searching for them stranded out in the woods. It was a helluva bit of piloting, and even one of the FAA accident investigators (who ALWAYS blame the pilot) said so.

I was so impressed by what I saw and the story I heard that I went and signed up for lessons. Between the cost of trying to do that on a photog's salary and moving for a job, it took me a hundred flying hours and a couple of years to get my license. I finally did it. I haven't taken the controls of an aircraft in a long time, but I still love to fly. I even logged an hour at the controls of an airship.

If you enjoyed the your flying experience, look around for the small airports in your area, and stop by on a Saturday just to hang out for a while and watch. Some airports don't have much activity, but some can be very busy on weekends with people out flying for recreation, taking lessons, going places or just washing their planes. Check the bulletin boards for "fly-ins," where people and planes converge on a single airport for a day of fun. Often at the fly-ins some classic aircraft will show up, and the pilots usually get a kick out of taking people up for rides. (Fly-ins also make for great nat-sound packages, if your shop will air them.)

This is the perfect time of year for flying, since the air is cool and stable and the weather is generally fair. If you hang around enough and ask the right questions, you might be able to find somebody with a Waco biplane and a set of goggles you can borrow.

Squirrel

I went up in a chopper for the first time the other day and all I was worried about was the story and deadline. I'd like to go up again without the camera.
But living through one eye is something I think about all the time. I hate shooting football games that I really want to just watch, you just can't enjoy the game like a fan. Tonight I'm going to UT/Rice and a guy from my station is going to shoot it. I'm so glad I'm not, so I can watch it like a fan.

C

<CJ>

I have been to a few places cool however, I still want to be able to watch a newscast without critiquing it. don't think it will ever happen.

O

<oneeyejohnson>

you guys sound pathetic. Don't you realize that if it wasn't for the camera on your shoulder you probably would never be able to do those things? Just be happy you have the greatest job in the world. Duh

Lenslinger

Getting to fly aboard various aircraft is one of the many things I love about my job. I've shot video from the co-pilot's seat of a many a Cessna, always fearing I'd send us plummeting to the Earth by nudging the wrong cockpit control with my betacam. So far it hasn't happened, but the thought of it always weirds me out.

Early in my career, a small group from my station went tandem sky-diving. Our chief photog shot it from the ground and jump-shooters flew along side us as we free-fell to terra firma. The memory of that experience is a personal treasure, as is the 30 minute private documentary I later produced on it.

Once I rode along with Cherry Point marines aboard a CH-53 Super Stallion helicopter. We flew at tree top level along the sand dunes and scrub brush of the Crystal Coast. Then we rendezvoused with soem kind of tanker aircraft for a mid-air refueling. Hovering under a giant airplane in flight as we took on fuel is an experience I'd never have had if I managed a shoe store.

Then there was the time we did morning live shots from a hot air balloon. The reporter was in one balloon with a wireless mic and a cell phone - a producer and myself flew in another balloon with a camera and a two-gig transmitter. We bunny-hopped each other over the rolling Piedmont hills as the sun rose on a gorgeous fall morning. We eventually landed in a remote field where all the virgin passengers were treated to the champagne-filled first flight ceremony. Bank tellers don't get paid to do that.

But my favorite flying experience was aboard the Goodyear Blimp. The local Goodyear Plant was celebrating an anniversary and their bigwigs had managed to pull off a visit from the famous dirigible. Only a few select employees and top managers were allowed to go up in the blimp, but I was welcomed to tag along thanks to the somewhat battered camera on my shoulder.

Blimps ascend at a steeper angle than you might guess and as my fellow passengers giggled nervously I was reminded of the closing scene in 'Willie Wonka'. Once we reached our desired altitude the pilot'parked' the flying bladder and passed out Goodyeqr trading cards. He had the steady patter of a stand-up comedian and it occured to me that blimp pilot was one of the few jobs cooler than mine.

Access to exotic aircraft is one of the many perks of our jobs as professional insiders. I for one relish my role as a video interloper - it's afforded me a wealth of extreme experiences, from the tragic to the terrific to the trite. It will never make me rich but I'm always a hit at cocktail parties. It sure beats my old job at the windshield wiper factory.

cameragod

2 1/2 glorious hours shooting in a SkyHawk Jet fighter. The air force was a bit pissed with the show I was working for so the pilot was doing his best to make me sick. Did you know a SkyHawk can do two complete 360 rolls in under 2 seconds? I think they were surprised when I asked if we could do it again so I could get a better shot. The pics were good but I would love to go up again with a better camera.
What other job can you find out first hand that if you look up in the middle of a 4G turn all the snot in your sinuses is sucked down your throat?

Land Rover

I flew with the Red Baron Squadron a few years ago and still remember it as being a lot of fun. I think the biplane flight was one of the coolest I'd been on, still waiting for the Blue Angels or Thunderbirds. I missed flying with the Blue Angels by not filling out a waiver for the Air Force that I didn't know about. My reporter did her's and when we went to go shoot, some people didn't show up and there was an open slot.

Coolfire

I don't really have a problem with shooting over spectating but it is sad that I end up experiencing things alone or with a reporter instead of with my wife and kids.

I

<It's called a job>

Originally posted by Coolfire:
I don't really have a problem with shooting over spectating but it is sad that I end up experiencing things alone or with a reporter instead of with my wife and kids.
BOO HOO! Like you could afford to take them to all these places and events on the salary you make now? ;)

KsPhotog

I've done tons of things with a camera on my shoulder that there's no way in hell I'd be there without it! I've been told before that the camera is a front row ticket to every event in town and I have to agree with that! I've met presidents and rode in a blimp, how many other jobs can say that!

Dave McCain

Let's see. . .I've interviewed tons of popular musicians ( in the general sense, of course ) like memebers of the Beach Boys ( was even invited to Mike Love's place in Tahoe for a special feature shoot on him ), and Tony Bennet
( again, he personally invited me to one of his shows---I don't listen to his music but LOVED the show ), flown inside WW 2 airplane relics from the Reno air race shows, was introduced to then president Clinton when he and Gore were in Tahoe for an environmental summit ( no, I didn't ask him if he knew any nice interns ), flew inside Black Hawk copters when the pilots/ National Guard were searching for lost automobiles in the Sierras ( it was a GREAT story!! ). . . My favorite moment was interviewing some friends riding horses in the same area where the Donner party once crossed ( you can still see the embossed wheel tracks on the rocks in the area!! ). You really can live a life through a viewfinder. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.