Keeping your gear safe during big storms!

Chuck1906

What tricks or ideas do you use to keep your gear safe while shooting big storms like Hurricane Irene?

I went out bought big contractor size garbage bags and I can easily fit it over top my camera and 3/4 of my tripod. I also use them on my lights when they are not taking my shot. Obviously when they are taking my shot, I remove the bag from the camera and YES I do have a rain protector on the camera as well.

I try and put my Mic and IFB boxes in either a plastic container or a smaller garbage bag.

Depending on how windy it is, I may or may not use my lights. If I choose to use them then I will definitely have my stands sand bagged down but hurricane winds will still blow them over so you might be good without them...

I am interested to hear other tips or ideas you all are using to protect your gear.

Chuck

code20photog

OK, in all seriousness, I have a trick I stole from a fellow photog that when I can use, I do.

I sometimes set the camera up inside the van for bad weather live shots. Obviously with a hurricane, you're going to have to make sure the doors are open away from the wind, but it works pretty good otherwise. When I was assigned my own van, working dayside, I put blue gels on the roof spotlights, aimed them both to a single spot, and that's where my reporter stood. Worked like a charm.

One of our guys had a rectangular tupperware box that had a hole cut in one end that he would fit the pickle through, and a small hole on the other end where he would snake out the XLRs for the mic and IFB. You could open the top to make all your connections while inside the van, seal the lid back up, and keep the connections dry. (We're HDSDI Imbedded now so we don't use the pickle anymore)

fotofinish

Oven Bags for your lights. They can handle the heat.

The guts to stand up to your walking mic stand aka "The Talent" and not put yourself in a situation that will find yourself underwater. I don't know why reporters find this necessary, but saltwater is not good for cameras.

goodfoot

Hotel Room

We typically get one room as a work room and will shoot out of the patio/balcony door, keeping the camera from taking the full brunt of the storm but allowing the talent to be outside. I use a clear hefty lawn sized plastic large trash bag over the camera, cut a hole in the front for the lens and gaff tape the hole around the lens. I keep my big camera put away during the storm and use a smaller camera as the live storm cam. The small camera is easier to keep dry and MUCH cheaper to replace.

I keep all my electronics (phones, etc) in a ziplock bag and use the same large clear plastic hefty garbage bags for my laptop and transmission gear. I keep a big box of those clear bags in a duffle bag along with all my other storm gear, those things really come in handy for everything. I'll use a pelican case to pack my clothes in, they stay dry and I can also use the case to either put lights or other gear in, plus pelicans stack easy. For lights, I wouldn't want to put anything plastic over the heads, I use the Bron HMIs which are very water resistant and I've never had a problem. The glass on the lights get cloudy from all the salt water but you can easily clean them off afterward, all the buttons and components are sealed.

Couple of other random tips...
-Fill the bathtub with water before the storm. If the water goes out, you can use it to flush the toilet. (bring lots of bottled water for drinking)
-wear clothes that are light and dry quickly. You can't fight the water and the storms are usually so warm you don't need rain jackets etc. Board shorts or a swim suit work great and water shoes/sandals with a hard sole and protected toe are also useful.
-have a portable generator and extra gas. Gas comes in handy for the generator and also to be able to fill the car up if you need to drive after the storm. Gas stations will be out of power for many miles and you don't want to be stranded. The generator keeps the gear on and also can be used to power a microwave in the hotel room for food. (the last storm we were in we doubled as a soup kitchen for some of the people that stayed behind)

Tv Shooter

I use an earlier version of this: http://www.petrolbags.com/Rain-Covers?q=node/1124

I have 2 of them, and have had it thorugh hurricanes, thunderstorms, floods and tornados. Never had so much as a drop of water inside. I used to use all sorts of bags to wrap it but couldn't adjust or change anything very easily....this cover allows me to get inside from underneath, just crack the zipper and I can reach any part of the camera.

I use boat bags and oven bags for the lights. I also have some AC extension cables I made for storm use with waterproof connectors, I have 4 that are 50' each. add a plastic bag over it and no problems at all.

fotofinish

4 cup coffee pots are great to have. Besides coffee, hot water for anything from instant cereal to Ramen Noodles. My last out of town Hurr excursion, I took several bottles of bourbon, they have plastic travel bottles, for barter. When there is no working ATM and credit card machines are down, a $20 btl of liquor is worth alot more than $20. I filled my explorer for a btl.