Jazz Workshop

photoguy603

This is a story I shot last night. Let me give you a little background. It was a 3 1/2 turnaround...I rarely get longer than that from first frame shot until it hits air. Also it has a reporter stand up....we didn't want to do one but at my shop if the reporter isn't live they HAVE to have a stand up no matter what....we do not do look lives period.

The guy doing the workshop is a famous jazz musician....the only problem I had was he only played two 3 minute songs while we were there (due to deadline)....I shot what I could as fast as I could while moving around. We wanted the piece to be more about music than the lecture piece.

With that being said it's been a really long time since I posted here so here's the link...the password to access the video is "play" minus the quotes.

http://vimeo.com/21703060

TXTechPhoto

Not bad man, you were steady on the tripod, you got a good eye and you got most of the shots for the story with the limited amount of time you were given, but it was a little choppy. This is what I did not like or where you could improve on:
*The second shot didn't work, it clipped and the dissolve was weird.
*An exterme wide would have been nice and more tight shots. More of those could have helped ya in the edit.
*You are following the action a little too much let things come in and out of frame.
*The sequence at :17 seconds was a little jarring, again tight shots would have helped.
*More reaction shots, You also should have gotten a close up shot of the student you interviewed watching the show, especially if you interviewed him before the performance.
*The interview of the student was also poorly set up, try not to shoot in front of white walls.
*The dissolve at :43 didnt work, You gotta change up your focal lengths in the edit. You edited all your tights in one sequence. Some of those tights could have helped ya in the earlier sequences.
*at :46 secs, other may disagree with me, but it was a jump cut. The dissolve just made it worse in my opinion. Also at 1:23.
*You are right the stand up was awkward, but you had to shoot one. Was there not a radio in the music hall? Going out to the car felt awkward, and if you are going to shoot in the car don't use the zoom That stand up was a perfect candidate for a multiple cut stand up.
*Also I did not like the closer(your shooting up his nose too much), the audio worked but an exterior could have worked over the last bit of the audio and it would have kinda bookended it with the beginning.

Still good work with that tight deadline you were given!

photoguy603

Thanks for the input....I appreciate it...I hated the student shot....My problem was ALL the walls were totally blank....I had 3 options where we were....right up against a blank wall, far away from a blank wall or infront of a stack of chairs. I avoid walls whenever possible but in this case we were stuck.

I agree with you at :43 now that I'm watching again now. And As I said before the music hall was totally empty...I was hoenstly surprised, I would've loved to found an old radio or something but there was nothing....it was kind of depressing actually.

Thank you for your critique I appreciate you taking the time to watch it and post a response.

Latin Lens

Okay...so I read your post...and had I not and just watched it...I would have shouted at the computer "what's wrong with you"..."what are you doing"...and I found myself still doing that even after reading the deadline and shooting issues. And I say with love...lots of love because you have to understand that in this case...under these restrictions you needed to have worked smarter, not harder. You missed so much...but I understand...you're not used to dealing with this challenge on a daily basis so you somewhat panic and miss a lot...but no worries. As you progress you'll find comfort in your shooting...when it comes to stories about musicians or music...tights and ultra tights are your best friends...they offer invaluable cutaways...so get them and lots of them...position yourself in the best place possible for one song to get as much as you can...move to second best location to get wides and foreground/backgrounds to help with any editing troubles...you needed that because any axis break or dissolve or jumpcut is so noticeable in these situations and they were here...dissolves are the crutch or the weak...I try and only use as a last resort or for emotional impact...you dissolved into an axis break...yikes, thats a big no-no. So learn from this...just like in real estate-location, location, location. Position yourself in location one for enough broll...position yourself in location two for enough broll...stick and move, stick and move as best you can to get quality b-roll...and get variety...wides, mediums, tights. Open didn't make sense....but you were rushed...stand up could have been creative but you were worried about time probably at this point...gameplan with your reporter as well so she doesn't screw you with her writing...plan and attack together to make it work...teamwork. I give a "C"...because you tried.

photoguy603

I'm sorry you didn't like it. I watched it without sound and really did see that dissolve that you were talking about.

I don't mind dissolves....what I do mind is dissolving EVERY shot...so I guess we just disagree there. Also 3 1/2 hours is my standing dealine....I haven't had one story a day in 3 years or so....I wish I always had more time but it never seems to happen.

I appreciate the advice thanks for checking it out.

Latin Lens

Dissolve in Question

I'm sorry you didn't like it. I watched it without sound and really did see that dissolve that you were talking about.

I don't mind dissolves....what I do mind is dissolving EVERY shot...so I guess we just disagree there. Also 3 1/2 hours is my standing dealine....I haven't had one story a day in 3 years or so....I wish I always had more time but it never seems to happen.

I appreciate the advice thanks for checking it out.
Dissolve at :41 secs....fyi. I believe TxTechPhoto references the same but lists it at :43 secs...so those types of "mistakes" are very noticeable to a veteran photog or chief. Which is why I stress you get more in the short time available. You'll begin to learn from every situation. Perhaps this particular one had more challenges than anyother given day. If you don't formulate a plan of attack it will come out sloppy and unscructured...sorta like what we got here...so learn from this and next time you find yourself in this situation come up with a plan and execute as best you can...you might find that the end result will produce a better result in some fashion. Good luck and keep having fun.