I've been unfaithful...:A lesson in giving

Photog236

I don't think I've posted here in nearly a year... I appologize and I need to come clean... I've been cheating... With a group on Facebook, her name is Storytellers... It's just so much easier when I can watch and post stories, update my status, and play words with friends ALL AT THE SAME TIME! haha...

This group is a great resource and is where I learned much of what I know and I feel bad for abandoning the group.

Anyway, the story is called: "A Lesson in Giving". It was shot/ aired/ edited, last week.

The payoff wasn't as great as I had hoped (You'll see what I mean), but I have been in a bit of a "good-story" dryspell, so I went for it anyway. (first one I've done in a bit that didn't have mandated, aging 4:3 file or flashy GFX)

I'll stop rambling now... Critique away!

http://vimeo.com/33507475

Thank's in advance!

-Cody

Latin Lens

Cody...great work as usual. Yes, the payoff was subpar but was it you or just how the story went? There was/is a lot of buildup to fall so flat which is a shame...but I am also left wondering as to the "why?" of it all. Why did he paint that particular picture for the kids home? He says so himself...he remembers what he was feeling with every painting he's done...why not explore his feelings at the moment he's actually doing it? This could have maybe added to the whole "why" issue. Was that question even asked? The photography and editing are top-notch...there's just some storytelling issues left unanswered or below expectations. I think you know after seeing it completed how you'd obviously would have made it better with a better ending. But great work and these are the everyday storytelling challenges we face out in the field. Better luck next time. Oh, great writing by reporter...great team effort.

Photog236

Thanks Oscar, It fell flat because I didn't think a head and work through the legalitys in my head. The painting was supposed to be a surprise and the home could do whatever they wanted with the peice (sell it hang it whatever). The problem came where the surprise was supposed to happen. When we showed up we were told we couldn't show any children's faces which was hopefully going to be the payoff. The backup pay off was that a father or sister would have been there to accept the painting and give some good (sounding appreciative) sound. Unfortunately we got stuck with the only person that "could legally speak" for the shelter do the interview was very awkward and doctored. It was my call to ax the interview completely as I felt it would have only taken away from the story. Sorry if that sounds like a justification, it was just the bag of crap that we got handed to us on the back end of the story... Haha. The painter is my landlord and that's how I found out about him and what we had done and planned to do and I was just so stoked about the potential I felt it had that I went for it.

Latin Lens

If I may then Cody say that I think you chose the "right" option in a way. Difficult conditions indeed...so here's a thought. Why not show the transition...him walking in...so why not have sound underneath the final shot? So you see the building but you're hearing the presentation so it gives some idea of closure. The way its edited now...there's no closure, we are left hanging. Hindsight is 20/20 and you have to make these decisions on the fly...but now for next time you know you can still make it work but you really, really, really have to think out of the ordinary. Sometimes with restrictions...it can allow for more creativity. You just have to "tape" it...and maybe figure something out in the edit bay. It may take the drive back to realize you got something you can use.

Last edited: