iStreamPlanet not paying freelancers?

JoeGo

Hi,

I've been a lurker to this forum for awhile, sorry this has to be my first post.

I did 2 days of freelance camera work for iStreamPlanet in April of 2010 and I or the other camera op haven't been paid yet. I've given up calling and emailing them. I even cc'd the president of the company.

Before I write this off as a bad debt, I wanted to check here to see if anyone had any info about them. The job was in Boston but they are based out of Las Vegas.

Also, I don't think I have to say this but I will, beware of this company.

Thanks,
Joe

Capt. Slo-mo

Don't write it off as a bad debt...file a claim in small claims court. Chances are they won't show up, you'll get a judgment, and then you'll have the fun of going to Las Vegas and taking some of the office furniture. ;}

Assuming they are still in business...

dhart

A little something I've learned down through the years. Sometimes you can gently lean on the actual client (whomever iStreamPlanet was working for). Usually the dead beat will pay up to preserve their relationship with their client. Probably will mean iStreamPlanet will cross you off their Christmas card list but at least you'll have your money :)

Tv Shooter

Unfortunately the IRS does not allow writing off uncollected bills as bad debt. You can only write off the actual losses incurred, such as tape stock, expenses ect.

You can't write off the money you would have made as a loss. So if your expenses on the day were $125.00, and the rate was $1400, you write off $125. The $1275 just never happened as far a IRS goes.

svp

This is why I won't work for a client unless they sign an agreement stating that I own the copyrights to all work until any/all outstanding balances are paid in full. Any company that intends to pay shouldn't have a problem signing it. Just had a situation with a tax company that I didn't think was going to pay. After delays and excuses I just reminded them that any use of the work before I was paid would be copyright infringement and I'd file a complaint with the FBI. I was paid the next day.

I was having problems with another client not paying on-time as well. For each shoot, they'd send a sheet I'd have to sign which handed over copyrights to them. I simply started writing in at the end of the paragraph "Videography retains full copyrights to any/all material produced until any/all outstanding balances are paid in full" and then signed it and sent it back. They still use me and now I'm getting paid on-time without any issues. Best alternative I've found to requiring payment in advance.

Tv Shooter

I just started adding that one in my deal memos, and so far no one seems to have even noticed. I did revise one a client sent me with that clause and they weren't real happy but not real upset....more so that they had to re-type the thing.