Instant Flamewar: Best video camera ever?

Mike@kennedys

Sony's 300 was definitely a turning point due to it's compact size and light weight. However, it, like the 600 was/is slowww by modern standards. Another milestone was the Sony DXC-D30L. It made beta affordable to the freelancer. I have an Iki ITC-730A on my office shelf as a conversation piece. It was one of the first cameras I used.

newz2me

BVW-300A
Shot with it from 94 to 2003. Loved it. had fuji glass 14x2 wir\th doubler. It was light and great on power.

Went to an SX 90WS in 2002 and still miss my 300A.

Agreed, the 300 was a great camera. I miss it. Mine had an IF lens though. The last time I got to use it was to cover the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Management wanted me to take an SP in case not everybody had the ability to feed SX. They said I could have any SP camera they had lying around and I said I wanted the 300. It never let me down.

jim sitton

PRO user
Upcoming TK 76 auction

After many of you have inquired about buying my TK 76.
(A friend is buying the other one)
I've decided to hold the first ever B-Roll auction.
(if it's ok with you Kevin?)

Give me a couple of days to take some pics and get them uploaded and I'll create a post titled
'TK 76 auction'
It will be up for 1 week and the winning bidder will get his very own boat anchor/lamp conversation piece.

No bids till you see the photos posted and I get permission from Kevin...

Thanks,

Jim

Grip

I really miss using a camera with a umbilical cord,

And whoever mentioned the video toaster, remember the naked lady wipe, now that was friggin sweet

ntxshooter

Tk 76

I'm interested, but only if it has the steel shoulder plate. Twenty-five years later, I still have a welp on my shoulder. Good times!

chicagoshootr

Worst camera ever?
Was it the Sony 1600 with the CCU, cart, and 3/4 deck?
What, you had a cart for all that?
I had to carry those freaking things along with a BVU110 deck.

Is that the same camera we used to call the "radar gun?"

Best SD camera hands down was the Panasonic SDX900. The last, best standard def camera ever made.

MII of M2

The talk about MII got me thinking about my first camera. The Sony DXC-M2. This M2 was a 3 tube camera connected to a umatic deck by an umbilical cord. The deck was about the size and weight as a laptop editor these days. We often called to them drop kick decks because sometimes they needed to be gently dropped or kicked to work. No kidding. You couldn't point the camera at a bright light source without burning spots in the image. You could actually write your name across the screen with the smear sometimes. You would never point it at the sun, or even a 1k light. Yes I used full on 1k's to light sit-downs just to get a decent image. These days I only use 1k's to light buildings. Shooting headlights and fires at night were a real challenge. Here's a link to a pic.

http://loreoutlet.mine.nu/collsite/video/umatic/sonydxcm2/gallery.html

soonershooter

The talk about MII got me thinking about my first camera. The Sony DXC-M2. This M2 was a 3 tube camera connected to a umatic deck by an umbilical cord. ...........Yes I used full on 1k's to light sit-downs just to get a decent image. These days I only use 1k's to light buildings. Shooting headlights and fires at night were a real challenge. Here's a link to a pic.
Wow. Those images gave me SERIOUS flashbacks to 1985.
My first camera was a Sony M3. NOT an M3A.
The M3 was very similar to the M2 you linked to, with (at least) one BIG difference.
The handle on the M3 was NOT anchored to the body near the front of the camera. It was "open" (kinda like a loop). It was only attached to the camera at the rear of the handle with one screw. The theory was that the handle could "swivel away" thus giving the camera a lower profile. What usually happened was that the screw broke, and you were left with a "handle-less" M3. My finger muscles in my right hand got freakishly strong from learning to lift my "handle-less" M3 out of it's case with one hand. I'd run into other shooters with M3A's (which had "anchored" handles VERY similar to the M2), and have serious "handle envy".
I also had the "basic" 3/4" deck with the piano key buttons and gold plastic case. I believe the model # was the VO-4800. I'd occasionally run into "big city" shooters who had Ikegami 79's and BVU-50's and think, "WOW, these guys have it made!"
I also had 1K lights BECAUSE I HAD TO HAVE THEM! The M3 wasn't the greatest low-light camera. The local newpaper photogs would LOVE it when I came to a press conference and set up my 1K light: No flash required!

Last edited: