Inauguration question for Washington Shooters

I'm having a bit of a dilemma and was looking for some quick advice from people who are familiar with shooting in Washington and the inauguration security restrictions. I shoot for CTV Montreal and will be following a church congregation that has chartered a bus to make the the trip to see the Presidential Inauguration. They will be spending Monday night in a local Washingnton church and will make their way on foot to the National Mall to join the crowd and watch the inauguration on the big screens there. I have the choice of bringing a Pana DVX-100 or my usual full sized BetaSX camera. I would much rather bring the latter full sized pro camcorder but am a little worried that it might cause me problems on the Mall. We contacted the PIC2009 and they told us that we wouldn't need any special accreditation for the Mall but i also heard that the Park authority could also cause us some problems. I'd like to hear from anyone who might be able to give me advice here but please make it fast...i'm leaving in less than 10 hours...at 6:30 am monday morning. Any other tips for the inauguration would also be appreciated.

b-roll

Administrator
Staff member
Technically you will need credentials to shoot anywhere on the mall. I'd go for the small camera.

You're also going to be walking miles... so you'll appreciate the small gear.

Final note... you won't be able to use a tripod on the mall... so be prepared for hand-held.

Enjoy your trip.... and send us photos...

http://www.flickr.com/groups/b-roll/

SEPhotog

As long as you don't have a tripod, you should be fine with your camera on the mall...The tripods are where they can get you. I think you may have to go through a security check with the masses as opposed to a media checkpoint to get into the outer perimeter, though. If you're sticking with a group, you should be able to go in with them.