Importing QuickTime from DVD

oldngray

Corporate has told us we need to start archiving to DVD. I don't agree, but corporate has made the decision.

The problem we seem to be having is after exporting the media from a Newscutter to a quicktime movie, when we try to import the media back from the dvd, the audio will simply tick every second. I've confirmed the audio is on the dvd, but I can't find any place in settings on the newscutter to change that would import the audio properly.

Anybody have some thoughts?

Baltimore Shooter

Oh, forget it. I think I figured it out.
Well, you could tell us in case we have the same issue too.

Speaking of audio editing issues, has anyone else noticed that when you convert an AIFF file to an MP3 and import it onto the FCP timeline, you hear the audio but you also hear a click (or tick if you will) in the audio. I don't know what causes it or how to get it out of there.

Warren

Necktie Boy

Warren,

Why do you convert an AIFF to MP3? FCP will accept AIFF....Just make should that the sampling rate is 48k and not 44.1k. FCP will convert the file to 48 on the fly, if not 48k
Just wondering?

Also, I would like to know how you solved the problem, Olngray

Thanks

Baltimore Shooter

Warren,

Why do you convert an AIFF to MP3? FCP will accept AIFF....Just make should that the sampling rate is 48k and not 44.1k. FCP will convert the file to 48 on the fly, if not 48k
Just wondering?
I didn't convert it soley to add or edit on the FCP timeline. I know FCP audio is native AIFF. Seems like I tested converting a voiceover file for a client to MP3 and tested it in the FCP timeline and ended up w/ the beep issue so I had to FTP the client the (much larger) AIFF file along with the MP3 file so he could use whichever file format worked for him without the beeping.

Warren

bluffton

Beeping!

:pThe beeping merely means you need to render the track. It would have been fine. Great idea though sending the client both files JIC.:D

oldngray

Well, you could tell us in case we have the same issue too.
Sorry, you're right. It was my bad. I missed a setting in the export to quicktime movie out of the bin in newscutter. So the sequence wasn't exporting the same audio rate as newscutter was then trying to import. So audio was showing up on the DVD, but Avid couldn't reconvert it properly. Once I matched the export and import settings for the user in Avid, the ticking went away.