Ikegami EditCam

tarzan

About 8 years ago, Avid had a section on their Web site featuring this tapeless camera that had it's own edit suite in the camera. Whatever happened to that? Did the product have too many bugs in it? Was it too expensive at the time to be able to market it?

It is still around..Link: http://editcam.ikegami.com/

not sure why more stations or networks haven't adopted it, I have never worked with one so I really don't know to much about the system. Hopefully someone with experience on an editcam can chime in here...

Land Rover

We have one that was bought about five years ago and bears the Cam Cutter name from Ikegami. Its a dockable deck that's paired with a HL-59. It works pretty well and I don't think we've ever had a problem with the field pack or importing the video into Avid. The only downside is that its heavy. I don't think Ikegami knows how to build a light camera.

EditCam

The EditCam is alive...but not well. We bought between 25 and 30 (exact numbers escape me) two years ago. We are the first and only station in Canada using them and it hasn't been a smooth ride. We use them for daily news and sports and they get a good workout. All our guys have their own own gear assigned to them so the cameras are well taken care of.
First let me say that I haven't had anything major happen to mind but I'm one of the lucky ones.
Here's the list...

Heavy. With a slide-in Sennheiser, extra shotgun, Anton cube, single brick and PortaBrace = 23.5 Lbs.

Poor Viewfinder. The worst viewfinder I've ever used. Can't get a sharp image. Ikegami tried a software upgrade that half fixed the problem. I want my Sony.

Camera won't shut off. Lost several SOTs because of this.

Overheating. New fan in the handle base fixed this issue.

Design issues. Filter buttons and ND wheel postions.

There have been a dozen other things that escape me at the moment. We have had Techs from Ikey Japan at our station for a week at a time and have done many "software upgrades" over the past two years. Add this to the fact that the cameras aren't even true HD. MPEG 50 is the best it can do.

We cut on Avids and it has been a long road for everyone to learn new ways to work. Clip numbers vs TC for example.

Overall, I fell the EditCam has its place, but not in ENG.

At times I feel Ikegami has used our station as their field testing department.

That's just me 2 cents. Some of my co-workers are also here on B-Roll and they can add their thoughts.

Peter Dworschak
Supervising ENG Cameraman
CityTV.

jeremycohn

I think the concept of the EditCam is great, but they do need work. Perhaps newer versions will have some of the kinks ironed out? I guess users have to realize that they're really working with computers on their shoulders.. and computers can crash. :(