I WANT TO BECOME A CHIEF!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Long Shot

I want to become a Chief, how do I do it?

I have 5 years of medium market experience, not really looking to move up in markets but would like to be a Chief in a meduim market.

As a former chief photographer the biggest challenge is how the Management folks see your role. A great boss who is motivator and a leader will make your role trully rewarding.

When the great boss leaves and the micro manger, pennypinching new owner, psycho ND, psycho Ass. ND, scanner happy assignment desk shows up the nightmare will begin.

With all that said the right conditions it is very satisfying. Be ready for the great times and the crappy times.

If your they expect you to shoot 12 hours a day and then do your to do scheduling, purchasing, vehicle mtce etc & pay you as a salried employee you will long for the days just shooting.

I believe that you need some dedicated time to be a cheif not just between 12:15 & 12:28 after the noon live shot and on your way to city hall for the 13:00 presss conference.

Hey.. a couple of people sick and heavy newsday will throw a wrench into normal procedure .. pulling yourhair out every day and you on stress leave is no the way to go.

Since leaving the cheif postion I take great pride in mentoring several photogs to refine and develope their craft.

Imachief

First off, do you have a chief now? Talk to him/her about being an assistant. Get them to let you help w/ some of the decision making, paperwork, less than enjoyable aspects of the job. Learn everything you can from them.

Secondly, are you respected in your current newsroom? Not just as a Photog, but as someone others can go to for advice, criticism, or a shoulder to cry on/vent? I can guarantee you, as a Chief, you will be in positions to do all of those, and more.

Thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, are you ready to kiss your friendships in the newsroom good-bye? You will become management, the boss, that evil bastard that stuck someone on the nightshift 3 weeks running. Your relationships WILL change. Why? Because you can't always be friends. Sometimes you have to make decisions that WILL piss people off. Your bosses will demand it from you.

If you can answer questions 2 & 3 with a heartfelt "yes", then IMHO you're probably ready to assume the mantle ot Chief Photographer. If yout can't answer "yes", then perhaps helping your current chief out as an assistant is a good alternative.

Good luck to you. You're gonna need it!

Imachief

Why what? If you mean why will the newsroom relationships change? That's easy.

For staters; they have to. A chief cannot IMHO be considered effective is he/she is perceived as "just one of the guys" (sorry ladies).

Actually, a little distance is in many instances, a good thing. Why? Because it does make being the "big bad boss" a little easier.

Don't get me wrong, I too enjoy the occassional "pop" with the crew, but I know and they know they'd be more relaxed if I wasn't around. It's tough to bitch about your boss if he/she's sitting across the table. Conversely, it's difficult to maintain morale if folks think you're going easier on your "buddies".

The ND/GM are going to expect you to run your staff, not be their after work drinking buddy. That's not to say you cannot be friendly, cordial, sociable, whatever. But you must also be able to discipline when necessary.

Write up or suspend someone you used to have a beer with every now & then. Your relationship will change faster than you can say "B-Roll".

Some other thing to condsider:

1) However big your staff is, let's say 20 for example, that's 20 different individuals, personalities, problems, opinions, gripes, etc. that you have to deal with. No matter how team-oriented your staff may be, there are still 20 heads that you have to try to get into to mentor, anticipate, lead, motivate, etc.

2) You are responsible for the actions/mistakes of your staff. Oh how I long for the days when all I had to worry about was my story, my gear, my news car, my cell, etc. Right now if someone on the staff misses slot, a piece of their equipment malfunctions, or any number of things then the ND comes directly to me and I've got to have answers whether I was on duty or not.

3) The days of slacking off occasionally or phoning it in every blue moon are over. All eyes are on YOU. If the photogs see you dragging ass then who are to later jump on them for doing the same? If the reporters see you dragging ass, then they may hang that on your staff as well. Next thing you know, you've got the ND is all over you about why the reporters complain about the photog staff. This can apply to vibe that you give off that others around you may pick up on (lazy, whinner, slow, and the list can go on). I learned this the HARD way...fortunately though, I learned it early.

4) Being a manager can put you in certain positions that you may not like. You may have to enforce or help impliment policies created by your supervisors that you may not like or agree with. You may be privvy to info about happenings or fellow employees that you want the burden to know. A couple of years ago, someone leaked info out of a meeting that totally made things tense in between two factions in the newsroom. I wasn't the one that let the cat out of the bag (there were six other people in the meeting, one of which was shagging the "leader" of one of the cliques) but since I was new in the position and was pulled into a meeting that I normally wouldn't be included in, the ND assumed it was me. To this day, I think he still holds it against me. Also, imagine working alongside a reporter that's excited about the new house she has just closed on and you know that the station is not planning on renewing her contract when it comes around. Stuff like that can eat you up inside.

5) If you are a shooting chief, then you will never get it all done. Sometimes it seems like I have more homework now than I did when I was in college. My wife was totally pissed off when I had to bring paperwork with me on our vacation to Hawaii last year. Couldn't help it but had to be done.

6) Money and title don't always equal happiness. It's nice having money leftover after paying bills and having "Chief Photojounalst" on my business card, sometimes I wonder if it's truly worth all the BS.

These are just a FEW of the things I wish I knew before I stepped into this positon.

Currentchief

I think most of the posts here are right on.

You must keep a certain distance between you and your staff. That doesn't mean you're aloof and superior, it simply means someone has to be in charge and that someone is you.

You have to follow all the policies or they will point out, "Why should I do XXX if you don't?"

You need to do everything first, as well. Morning guy on vacation? You cover Monday- then the rest do it. News cars dirty? Yours better be cleaner.

You get to listen to reporters' complaints, photogs' complaints and management's complaints. You address what you can and move on. You try to improve the shooting of those photogs willing to listen and those who are not.

You should have gotten 14 father's day cards last June, but didn't. You mediate disputes, both serious and petty. You know secrets, but tell no one. You deal with a staff of humans- with histories, strengths, weaknesses, differing work ethics and loyalties to you and your station.

People come and people go, but you're always expected to attract the next POY for $24/k per year. Anything goes wrong (even when you're on vacation) and you get to answer as to why.

So why do it?

I dunno. The title, I guess, and more money is nice, too. I'd be lying if I didn't say that I really like people coming to me for answers and that I have a small measure of respect in the newsroom.

I've always seeked out those positions, too. Camp counselor, resident assistant, restaurant manager, teacher's assistant, etc. All these positions and titles have some things in common and the trend continues into my 40's.

The best part is when I see a green photog "get it" and start to really grow in their quality and enjoyment of this job.

As a manager- you must make sacrifices to do well at your job. It's a fine balance you change every day. Just be sure you can drop the hammer when the time comes for that. You're changing someone's life and their future and I take no pleasure in firing someone. I've done it once before, and I was in knots for days afterward.

I hope other chiefs continue to contribute to this thread. I never really thought about WHY I do this until I truly started thinking about it as I composed this answer.

CC

Long Shot

Sorry I haven't responded in awhile, I've been in Daytona covering the race.

All points above are really good and thak you for your response.

I have decided apply for a couple of jobs.

2 questions:

Is age a factor? (I'm 30.)

Do awards help your cause when applying for the position? (I have an Emmy, Edward R. Murrow, an NPPA and 4 AP awards)

Imachief

Aah 30; I remember it...vaguely. Actually, age should not be a factor at all. Especially since most stations won't even ask your age. They wouldn't it(age discrimination) to haunt them later on.

If you got the chops, you got the chops. Listing your awards should show you've got the chops. Hell, it certainly can't hurt. Unless some prospective employer thinks those awards will price you out of their salary range.

I say age: no, awards: heck yeah!

Good Luck! You're gonna need it.

Cambot Mk. II

I took up the mantle about a month ago.

It's a small station... We have six photographers and half have less than a year's experience.

It's been interesting to say the least. Our past chief was a great guy but my ND gave me a lot of work to get done in a short amount of time... I had to reassign gear and vehicles, improve our maintenance procedures and begin learning to be a manager. It would have been much harder if I was coming into a new shop as the new chief.

Currentchief, I'm printing out your response and saving it. You've hit it on the head.

The biggest thing I've learned is that you can't let them see you sweat. Like Currentchief said, you have to lead by example. There's no way around it.

Good luck Longshot... You have a lot of work ahead of you, but it is worth it.

A Step Above Productions

No one has really mentioned critiquing – isn’t that a major part of the job? I have worked in shops where there was zero critiquing and the only critiquing anyone got was from coworkers.

I feel critiquing is the most important part of being a Chief – I am not a Chief Photog, but I did spend five years as A Chief Editor, and I critiqued everyone on a weekly basses. If something looked amazing I would call who ever shot it and let them know – I would also call people out when something looked bad. When critiquing you have to be balanced.

I have worked with chiefs who only call when video looked bad – I never heard from them otherwise.

Kramer

I too would like to become a chief. I've been in the biz 5 years going on 6. Don't have a lot of awards, but also haven't really sent in a lot of entires?! I know it's hard going into another station to become chief, but what do I need to do to look at getting in someplace? Any advice would be appreciated..... all good points made and I think (not to sound like an ass), but all the previous post I try to do around here. Thanks again......

SandRat

Is five years enough? Some markets won't even hire a staff photog with only five years.

Get to the market you want to be the chief and establish yourself. Become a reliable and "professional" news photographer, and in time you'll earn the job.

[ April 23, 2005, 02:19 AM: Message edited by: SandRat ]

SmlMktChief

I don't think years of experience can determine Chief quality. Maturity makes a big difference. Ability to do the job, knowing how to deal with people and the ability to manage are all required. I got my Chief badge with 1 and 1/2 years exp. It just depends on how you handle yourself before the job becomes available.

All that said...I didn't have to move to another market to get it. I got to stay where I was.

Moving to another market probably makes a difference, but a good word from your current Chief or ND could turn the tide with less experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.