I just made Chief!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biglux

Hey everyone,

I just found out I'm to be named chief in about 2 weeks. I need to know what to expect. I've been at the station for 3 weeks! I've already been doing most of the teaching to the guys that haven't been shooting long, but there are guy that've been here over 10 years! I just read the other post by Lensmith about his first day as chief, now I'm a little nervous and want to know what else expect. Also, what things do I need to immediately? The guys that have been here for years, already know and they support me. My goal is to turn this into a NPPA shop. I'm sure my guys are going to go for it, but I'm a little worried about the producers. They think as long as it is the right color you put it on air!! Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Lux

SmlMktChief

Congrats Biglux!

First things first...have a staff meeting and let everyone know what to expect from you AND what you expect from them. Set the stage for how you will work WITH them...training, critique etc.

Make yourself a list of things to keep an eye on on a weekly and monthly basis. Do a current inventory of equipment so you have a handle on what you have and where to go from there.

Depending on photog staff size...have weekly or monthly meetings to cover gripes or compliments. Make sure all the photogs know that you are accessable all the time.

Praise in public, critize in privte.

Most of all, have fun!

If you get into a rhythm of shooting and managing, it can be a fun job.

EYE EDIT

I wouldn't worry about producers...they're irrelevant (as far as i'm concerned.)

Ditto Small Mkt. Chief:
Call a staff meeting immediately. Tell them what you want from them. Ask them what they want from you. Get organized in your own head...i.e. determine what changes you think need to be made and what order to implement them in. Ditto on gear too...particularly if you're new to the shop. Account for everything you have...determine what you need.

If you have the support of the old guys, you'll be okay. That is the area where I had the most difficulties in my first 6 months on the job.

Good luck.

yellowbeta

Congrats,

Welcome to the world of 24 hour on-call, equipment repairs, and vehicle problems ;)

You will love it. Everyone is correct in saying it can be the best time of your life. I've only been a chief for a few months and am enjoying every minute.

Make sure to get to know your News Director. He/she can be a great source of help(especially if they were a shooter once).

Otherwise, come back and visit often. I'm always learning new things from the gang here.

***Hat's off to Kevin for the web site***

Dedline

Not immediately, but soon, some managerial training is in order. Read articles at www.poynter.org about new managers in newsrooms. They've got great insight into things like dealing with different personalities, ethics in the newsroom and difficult situations and discipline. They're best stuff is probably the coaching tips and material.

good luck, it'll be easy after the first year.

Status
Not open for further replies.