How much will I earn?

Super8guy

Greetings-One of my Super 8 filmclips from 1973 got picked up for use in a television commercial. It's just pedestrian footage of a woman dressed in blue dancing around with her young daughter sitting on a kitchen table and laughing along.

I will receive the royalty statement in a couple of days. I believe in the beginning the stock footage house told me that footage licensed for television commercials is a different pay structure than other types of licensing; it's more lucrative.

Someone told me I earned $50,000.00 for licensing usage of this clip. My original contract says I receive 30% of all revenues. Any guesstimates from anyone? I'm going crazy.

Thank you!

nautilusvideo

If you didn't negotiate a dollar amount when you signed the contract it may be a whole lot less than you think. Also, 30% of total revenues from what? Is it gross or net? And yes commercials do command a higher rate but the stock house is taking 70% for just being the middle man and may also deduct expenses before paying you. Standard split is usually 50/50 or 60/40 in your favor.

Super8guy

If you didn't negotiate a dollar amount when you signed the contract it may be a whole lot less than you think. Also, 30% of total revenues from what? Is it gross or net? And yes commercials do command a higher rate but the stock house is taking 70% for just being the middle man and may also deduct expenses before paying you. Standard split is usually 50/50 or 60/40 in your favor.
I don't have a copy of the contract at hand. I will tell you it's a huge stock house, one of the biggest. I suppose they have a standard contract for all contributors.

Super8guy

I just want to find out about the original topic. I don't care to participate in flame wars. The original topic is,"how much money do I receive for a huge stock footage house using a model-released 1973 Super 8 filmclip of mine in a television commercial?"

Could be contingent on how many runs were purchased? For instance a million runs could've been purchased. I know nothing about the stock footage market, nor anything about Michael Rosenbloom. That is why I am here. To learn about the market and how you think I did. Thanks!

nautilusvideo

Could be contingent on how many runs were purchased? For instance a million runs could've been purchased. I know nothing about the stock footage market, nor anything about Michael Rosenbloom. That is why I am here. To learn about the market and how you think I did. Thanks!
No one is flaming you. As someone who makes part of his living selling stock footage and has for over 15 years you are most likely over reaching. The stock house most likely sold your footage for a one time fixed price from which you get 30% of revenues (see my first post). Unless you specifically negotiated residuals or a rate based on number of airings then you will receive one check and that will be it. Size of the stock house is immaterial so don't buy the Ferrari yet. You did get taken on the your percentage.

Super8guy

I appreciate the input. I'm hoping to do very well. I will find out tomorrow. As far as getting taken on the percentage, the contract has a fixed percentage for all contributors right there on the front page of the contract. It designates how much still photogrpahers will receive, how much archive contributors will receive, and right on down the line. It's obstensibly impossible to negotiate on any fees. It's a "take it or leave it" situation. I take it.

As far as commercials go, I would think same thing. Take it or leave it. I trust the company; they're very well known. That Ferrari may come my way after all.

Super8guy

Unfortunately I can't see that video from this set. However I still have hopes for a substantial payment for the use of my cleared 1973 Super 8 clip for the television commercial.

Anymore yays, nays?

Super8guy

My net proceeds for the month for the Super 8 archive clips is $1441.37. Not too shabby, but far short of the $50G I was told to expect. I guess the above youtube is correct! Payment arrives in June.