History Ch. embraces HDV/Mini-dv

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluesCam

There are three History Ch. productions underway near me. One is being shot with two Sony HDV cameras and a huge crew. They brought their own cameras and DPs. They hired local sound and grip.

Two other productions are using Mini-dv.

One hired a DP, but had their own camera. The other production had their own camera and DP. They hired local sound. I believe they are using the Pany DVX100.

Not good news for shooters with gear. At least my soundman is busy!

The new Panasonic HVX200 sure has a lot of buzz. That will be the next big "professional toy."

Unfortunately, hiring local sound only is a big trend around here.

Baltimore Shooter

I don't think so. I was hired for a "Modern Marvels" shoot using none other than my...BETASP camera. Though the shoot is on hold right now due to a hightened security alert at the location (a military base).

BulesCam...you're starting to sound like an advocate for MR. No wonder you're Blue. Are you Shaky and Out Of Focus too? :D

Warren

Matt Box

Yeah nothing new there, except the hdv cameras. There are always going to be tons of shows like these shooting on minidv with their own gear. It just makes sense to the budget centric production houses putting them together. But you have to sit back a look at what they are doing..... Most of these companies are producing filler programming at best, they get picked up for a season or two to fill timeslots and maybe if they are really really lucky they become a breakout hit and the network finds a way to make even more of it at even cheaper prices. Aside from the pay which is probally not much, do you realy want to work with one of thse shows? I dont watch much tv that I yearn to be a part of, most of the time i wonder what a bitch of a shoot it must have been for the crew! But for every couple of "fillers" there are some gems that seem to pay the bills and make it all look great while still getting viewers.... these are the shows I always love to get the calls from. I know of lots of productions going on just up the street from me with handycams for some big channels, but I dont lose any sleep about not working them and I still pay the bills.

Sometimes the nature of forum responses comes across as ill-willed towards original posters... not trying to flame bluescam, just writing down my thoughts.

BluesCam

Good assessment Matt Box.

BTW, I have shot several episodes of "Modern Marvels" and yes, you're right Warren, it was on Beta SP. I'm not embracing what is happening by any means. In fact, I don't particularly like it, but it IS going on around me.

Run&Gun

The discovery show "Roush Racing: Driver X" was/is a combination of HDCam(F-900's) and the Sony HDV's, but I don't know the exact mix.

Star Video

I think that there will always be a need for large, broadcast cameras that us freelancers own and use, such as BetaSP, DigiBeta, HDCam, etc.

Nothing wrong with using HDV cameras, they're great for mounting inside race cars and for other difficult to get shots. To me, it's just another tool. Nothing wrong with having the necessary tools, I shot BetaSP with a guy who shoots a lot for NASCAR, and he owns a Varicam, DVX100, etc. and he uses all of them.

BluesCam

The guys shooting on HDV for Hist. Ch. have the cams (2) fully tripped out. Matteboxes and 35mm film lens adapters. They have a big crew (union) and a grip truck. BTW, History Ch. has gone union. Maybe their rates will go up. They called me once with a ridiculous offer. I had to pass on it.

freedom

Bluescam
Are you sure History Channel has gone union? Or was it the particular production company you saw shooting with a large crew?

Tv Shooter

The Roush segments at the drivers hometowns for the most part were the Sony HDV camera.Not sure about the incars,as they seemed to be not mounted very well.They vibrated alot.I had a call to shoot a couple segments for it,but I was already booked so I sent them a buddy of mine.
One of the producers is a good friend,so I'll see what the mix on it was.

Baltimore Shooter

Originally posted by Star Video:

Nothing wrong with using HDV cameras, they're great for mounting inside race cars and for other difficult to get shots.
Now THAT'S the proper use for those cams, not as a primary camera to replace a 600 and the like.

Warren

dhart

I suspect that Sony and Panny are going to come out with a EFP/ENG sized HDV camera in the not too distance future. Poor man's way into HD for news organizations and the like. Lots of stations embraced the DVC Pro format. They can start producing "HD" programing at a "DV" cost. Even the data rate of 25 mb/s will not require the huge drive space that real HD does. Look for it at NAB (no I don't have any inside information just a gut feeling.)

Run&Gun

Originally posted by Tv Shooter:
The Roush segments at the drivers hometowns for the most part were the Sony HDV camera.Not sure about the incars,as they seemed to be not mounted very well.They vibrated alot.I had a call to shoot a couple segments for it,but I was already booked so I sent them a buddy of mine.
One of the producers is a good friend,so I'll see what the mix on it was.
Yeah, I got called for it too, and turned it down. None of the shooters were local(closest was Winston Salem, I think), nobody around here that got called wanted to give up a month to a production that wasn't using their gear. Plus when the production manager asked me about a "weekly rate" I knew I didn't want any part of it(when someone asks you what your "weekly rate" is, say my day rate times 5 or 7). I knew several of the sound guys on it and they said they made a killing, nobody caved on their rates. One of the union's tried to crash the party, though. From what I was told, if they hadn't of gone away, some of the shooters would have had to walk.

[ November 09, 2005, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: Run&Gun ]

BluesCam

Originally posted by freedom:
Bluescam
Are you sure History Channel has gone union? Or was it the particular production company you saw shooting with a large crew?
A soundman told me that they went union. They hired him directly at union rates. That's all I know.
He is working with them next week.

freedom

"A soundman told me that they went union. They hired him directly at union rates. That's all I know.
He is working with them next week"...

History channel hired him directly? And required that he be union? Was there a union contract in place that he was made aware of? As was asked already, which union?
Sounds fishy to me...

[ November 10, 2005, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: freedom ]

BluesCam

Originally posted by freedom:
"A soundman told me that they went union. They hired him directly at union rates. That's all I know.
He is working with them next week"...

History channel hired him directly? And required that he be union? Was there a union contract in place that he was made aware of? As was asked already, which union?
Sounds fishy to me...
I'll ask him about it. He is working directly with them next week and they are shooting Mini-dv. He told me their rates went up because they went union. That's all I know. They did not require that he be union, but he is. He works a lot of film shoots and is busy all the time.
I know they (HC) used to pay next to nothing... because I turned down their direct calls.

Stoney

Maybe they are paying union rates without requiring the freelancers to be union? My guess is that H.C. lowballed before and have come under fire from the unions... causing them to raise rates up. Just a guess.

freedom

I've done a fair amount of History Ch stuff but never for the network directly.
I didn't know they were producing in-house.
I would suspect that if the unions started pushing HC to sign a contract, they would close the in-house department and farm out everything.

Which union is this reported to be involving?
I'm guessing it was IATSE, from the description of the production with a PS Technic 35mm lens adapter. It's possible that the crew they wanted to use wanted to work under contract so they got them to sign an OPO agreement. That's a One Production Only contract that stays in force for that particular film only. The next crew that comes along for a different film will be starting from scratch. Just my guess...

BluesCam

My friend says it's IATSE. He is a member. They are flying in the producer and DP and hiring him locally.I think they are shooting mini-dv. I see that more and more often.

I had one client even call me and say they were sorry for doing that (bringing their own camera person), but it saved them money in the long run. They had negotiated a much lower day rate in exchange for many shooting days.

Status
Not open for further replies.