Help: Editing AVCHD on Mac

Buck

I've been looking into buying a consumer HD camera for home use. I'd likely use iMovie '08 or Final Cut Pro. But It seems most of the cameras I'm looking at use the AVCHD format. After some research I've found it may not work with my older model G5. From what I gather it's has to be Intel based. Is there any way around this?? I really want to have the option to be able to edit and not just watch raw video out of the camera.

Here's one bit of information I found:

If your budget or personal preference make iMovie your chosen solution for video editing, there are two core requirements. First, you need to make sure you have iMovie '08 or newer software. The other limiting factor to using iMovie is hardware. You need an Intel-based Mac to edit AVCHD in iMovie '08. Power PC G5 Macs or older will not work for editing high definition AVCHD with iMovie.

Focused

I am looking as well

There is a camera I want to get that runs the AVCHD. My G5 (non intel) will not read the files, but an editor friend of mine (Mac Pro with intel) thinks the stuff is gorgeous and transfers real fast. We did a test shoot with the camera last month.

So, you may have to pony up for a newer mac. I have not tried toast 9 to transfer things yet.. mostly because I have toast 7... but I digress. Unfortunately this method of data writing is so high tech that new machines are needed to handle it.

I will say this. The output of video is amazing. If you find a more specific answer let us know.