hair

Hey Fellow Photogs Out There. I Have A Question To Pose. Has Anyone Ever Had A Problem Witht The Station Saying Something About Your Hair. I Have Been In The Business For 13 Years And Not Once Has Anyone Had A Problem Wtih My Long Nicely Kept Hair. I Was Hired At This Station With Long Hair 4 Months Ago And Now All Of A Sudden Im Being Told To Cut My Hair. Just Some Thoughts Or Personel Experience Would Be Nice To Hear Avout.

Baltimore Shooter

As a long haired shooter I know how you feel. I've NEVER been told to cut my hair by any client (I'm freelance).

What about Jamicans, they have long hair in dreds, something to do w/ religon. Same w/ orthodox jews. Tell your employer your religon won't allow you to cut your hair.

Hang in there my long haired brother!

Warren

Tippster

The Fly on the Wall
Cut yer hair, hippy. ;)

Seriously - tell them to blow you. Then hand them the EEOC's phone number.

thanks guys but pre set its not a mullet but thanks anyways. i wont cut it and i schoulnt have to because it doesnt effect my work or anything. they brought up station look and stuff like that but i asked has anyone ever called and said we would watch your news but we wont because of that photog with long hair. i won that one. and sports guy im in minnesota so its even colder but you bring up a good point.

pre-set

Hey bro, at least ya got hair. I've been sportin' the Mr. Clean look for about 5 years now.

Know what? Mach III blades really ARE cheaper than barbers!!!

amp

As long as your hair is well groomed, screw 'em. If it isn't written in your contract (if you even have one) they can't tell you to do it. With reporters, it is often written in their contract that the ND can get them to change their hair. But, photogs, not so much.

dig-n-it

I've got this long goatee that I know "The Man" doesn't like, but they leave me alone about it. Sh*t, it's probably my fault for the station apparell we have to wear now. I'm sure the (new at the time) ND got tired of all the Sturgis or Daytona or Harley shirts that make up my wardrobe. Now I am receiving long sleeved logo wear. Being the skeptic that I am, I speculate it is not for winter, but to hide my tats.

Nooze Hound

I'm the reason my station instituted a dress code for photogs and editors...

I was working as a morning editor. So I'de start at 3:30-4:00 and work until 10:00. (part time gig, just editing no shooting at the time.)

I was just out of high school, a young punk and didn't know any better. I was wearing a Jackass shirt.

on the same day we had a tour of 3rd graders...
crap.

next day,

we get the memo.

Frank McBride

Long hair, tattoos, whatever should not be an issue if they knew about them when you were hired. If they were new after you were hired, then they might have a leg to stand on provided they are consistent in their enforcement and have an actual code or policy.

How did your problem get resolved so quickly?

FMc

i went through the chain of people....chief photog, hr, and then finally i called my news director and set a meeting up with him. i pulled my hair back totally expecting to loose my job because i was not in any way shape or form going to cut my hair they wanted it above the collar so it wasnt just cutting off a couple inches. i went in and after a 5 min conversation he said he liked it and if i pulled it back during work i could keep my job and my hair. so it was a 3 day event that could have been a 1 minute event if they would have listened to my compromise of pulling it back to begin with. the point is if you believe in something dont back down and be willing to take the risk.

Todio

Another lesson here seems to be "Don't stand so bullheadedly on ceremony." Be willing to compromise a bit. You agreed to tie the locks back and they agreed to let you have your hair as long as you want. Both sides give a bit and both sides win!

I have a shooter friend who absolutely refuses to cut his hair. He's lost gigs because of it. His quote, "There's not enough money in the world to get me to cut my hair." Won't even wear a hat or tie it back. I don't get it. I've been asked by clients to remove my earring for pity's sake! Just do it and get on with life. My earring doesn't define me or matter a fig in how I do my job but if it makes a client feel better then out it comes for the day

shooter5

I knew a drew!

I once hired this long haired shooter with long hair and a hockey fetish...he ended up somewhere in Minnesota....we never had a problem with his hair....it was his shooting we had an issue with.
Ha. If this is that same Drew who use to shoot with us guys in Syracuse, send me a note.....

Joseph A. Picciotto
News Operations Manager
WSYR- Newschannel 9
315-446-4780 ext 2263

Hey Fellow Photogs Out There. I Have A Question To Pose. Has Anyone Ever Had A Problem Witht The Station Saying Something About Your Hair. I Have Been In The Business For 13 Years And Not Once Has Anyone Had A Problem Wtih My Long Nicely Kept Hair. I Was Hired At This Station With Long Hair 4 Months Ago And Now All Of A Sudden Im Being Told To Cut My Hair. Just Some Thoughts Or Personel Experience Would Be Nice To Hear Avout.