Grass Valley

Bret

For those of you that edit Grass Valley, can you give me any pros or cons? Right now my station is 50/50 Grass Valley/Avid for a tapeless solution. I have worked with Avid Newscutter, however never used any Grass Valley products. Any input would be appreciated.

roliveira

All the grass vally systems ive used were great. What System do you guys have? Im not sure what they are all called.. one i thinks is news edit, we also call it vibrant. Theres also an upgraded verson of that.. wich i THINK is HD compatable. I also think grass vally makes a newer HD compatable system called EDIUS. Wich i also liked a lot... but took a lot of time to get used to. Ive never used avid so i cant really compair but i can tell you the goods and the bads if i know which version you have. you can message me if you want and i can give you some more details.

Bret

Actually right now we are shopping for a system. So Avid would be Newscutter XP and Grass Valley would be Edius or Aurora. In addition to the editing software, I was hoping to also hear any good/bad on the actual playout to air on these tapeless platforms. Thanks.

smltm4nw

we just installed edius into our newsroom about 2 months ago and I really enjoy it. I like to say it's more powerful than FCP and not as cerebral as Avid. It only took me about a week to get up and running on it, but I still learn new stuff all the time. It is a super stable program the only problem I thought I had, turned out to be bad RAM modules.

I would definnetly suggest it to newsrooms looking to go nle.

Motog

I have used both products ,and for newsrooms ,grass valley is way easier to use and learn, not as techincal as avid. But you could learn GV is a week, and know it inside and out

roliveira

Edius is a lot better then aurora system. As for avid.. im not sure.. never used it. We had some tech. difficulties with our server matching up with edius, we used XDHDcams and a canopus system to load are vid into the server. Bitcentral set everything up for us. From what i understand they had never delt with a full hd station using the XD and Edius together. A lot of kinks had to be worked out... but playout to air was always good.. it was getting the vid into the system that gave us problems.

lost focus

If its between Edius and Aurora hands down Edius is far more capable and powerful. It may be a little slower on the learning curve and setup, but waaaaaaaaay better than Aurora. One can do so much more and easily with edius than news edit or it's "improved" version Aurora . I've never used avid, don't care if I ever do.

I highly recommend Grass Valley (we use NewsEdit XT's). Very stable, and very easy to use. It has a nice tape-to-timeline feature that mimics a tape-to-tape setup (the computer is the "record" deck). You can do the old in-point source, in-point record, hit the red edit button routine and have a finished sequence as quick as a tape-to-tape edit. You can also go into a lot of effects and such, but for day-to-day quick-and-dirty news editing, Grass Valley is great.

DevinDavis

I've used both. Avid seemed more powerful, but for day to day stuff, GV is my favorite system. There are little things that GV has thought of that AVid either doesn't have. or is a pain in the neck to use.

Clutch City

We've used Grass Valley for a couple of years without any major problems. There aren't a lot of bells and whistles in terms of effects, but it's terrific for day to day stuff.

javary

i just moved from a grass shop to an avid shop and i'm missing my grass like crazy.

go with grass...

I've been using AVID for the last three years. In my opinion, it is the best editing software out there. I find it more intuitive than FCP and way more powerful than Grass.

Now, I'm sure I am biased considering AVID is all I've ever known until I came to Indy.

We use Grass Valley. I'm not a big fan.

The integration that you get with AVID is second to none. Interplay and Media Manager are amazing. Ingest your footage in one edit bay and immediately it's available in any of the other edit bays. Or any computer networked with Media Manager.

If you use iNews, it's even better. The NRCS tool allows you to have the reporter's script open within the editor. Very slick. Two clicks and you've got a timeline with the correct tape ID number ready. No worries about transposing numbers.