Fox nabs "Action News" sitcom for 2007-08 season

Baltimore Shooter

From NATPE Daily Lead/Variety:

Fox gets in on the 'Action'
Network nabs Grammer-Heaton comedy
By JOSEF ADALIAN

Fox has made a big-bucks, 13-episode commitment to "Action News," the Kelsey Grammer-Patricia Heaton laffer from scribes Christopher Lloyd and Steve Levitan.
To win the project, Fox agreed to pay sister studio 20th Century Fox a license fee of $1.3 million-$1.4 million per episode. ABC and CBS both expressed interest in the project, with the Eye dropping out of the bidding first. NBC passed early on.

Besides big money and an episodic order, 20th also asked for certain assurances about timeslots and scheduling. It's unclear if Fox agreed to those requests.

Project reps the biggest commitment by a network to a comedy for the 2007-08 season. Deal appears to be on a par with what CBS paid Warner Bros. TV last year for "The Class."

"Action News" will feature Grammer and Heaton as TV journalists and former colleagues who reunite at a local TV station (Daily Variety, Jan. 23). Skein will be an ensemble workplace laffer and, in a rarity these days, a traditional four-camera comedy.

There's no word yet on a director, but industry insiders note that 20th had a positive experience working with Grammer as a helmer on a pilot last season.

Most industry insiders figured "Action News" would end up at ABC or CBS. But Fox Entertainment prexy Peter Liguori said he believes the quality of the pilot script and the on-air talent involved make it a good fit for the net.

"Funny is bang-on the Fox brand," he told Daily Variety. "You've got a great script, proven writers and great leads with outstanding comedy chops. To us, it's a triple threat."

Dana Walden, prexy of 20th Century Fox TV, said the Fox network won "Action News" by making the best offer -- and not because it's owned by the same company as the studio.

"There was no home court advantage on this one whatsoever," she said. "Peter Liguori won it fair and square."

Walden said the talent involved in "Action News" made the project "a pretty undeniable package."

"You've started with two incredibly talented showrunners and then you add in two huge performers," she said. "It's a little bit of a no-brainer."

"Action News" started taking shape in early fall. Levitan and Lloyd met with Grammer in October, though he didn't sign onto the project until he had read the script.

Once Grammer was aboard, "Martin Lesak (of Creative Artists) then decided to get the script over to Patty," Walden said. That lead to Heaton signing on, completing the mega-package.

"Action News" reps the first major sale for Levitan and Lloyd's 20th-based shingle.

Grammer continue to have an overall production deal at CBS Paramount Network Television, where he exec produces skeins such as "Girlfriends" and "Medium." Heaton is currently performing in Off Broadway show "The Scene."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Link here - http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117959058.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&s=h&p=0

Warren

Nooze Hound

My roommates brother just told us he was hired by fox for a pilot.
(before you get your undies in a bunch, he's working in production, he's not an actor)
But he didn't say what the show is.
this actually sounds pretty cool.

rocky1138

anyone here thinking of Sports Night? or Newsradio?

I liked both of those shows, but felt that neither one got even close to what it is really like working for the media. so, I'm not going to have too high of hopes for this show. (did anyone else imdb the writers & see they both wrote for "Frasier"?)

to second SVP's thoughts

how many people notice camera lights always on. inside, outside, 100yds away from the press conference. Man those DPs like to have the cam lights on no matter what

also I love when extras are holding the viewfinder AND the lense. or when someone is at a scheduled presser for the president & doesn't have a tripod. or when the extra tries to put the camera up on their shoulder & has no idea how to do it smoothly

BUT my favorite is when they have no speaking roles what-so-ever and everything interview they shoot with a reporter ends with a "Jessica Van Kidhilton, for Action News 9... ok we're out."

we're mostly a bunch of poor, hungry, video-camera junkies, I'm wondering why no one has tried to pool our contact-info & use us as extras to actually make their stuff not look like such crap (wish-ful thinking I know, but they hire ex-cops & ex-doctors & ex-etc. for consults)

f11vid

PRO user
The only show that has somewhat accurately portrayed the business was a Canadian show called " E.N.G."

Baltimore Shooter

There was a show on Fox (I think) about 10 years ago called "Live Shot", I think it only lasted 4 or 5 episodes. I never got a chance to see it.

Warren

cameragod

The best was without a doubt Frontline. It took the worst aspects of news and pushed it just a bit further so you laughed at how silly it was as you cringed at how close to true it was.
While the crews were reduced to bit parts they had some of the best gags… i.e. when told to get a weather shot of the sunrise they got a sunset from file and dubbed it in reverse then gave it to the weatherman.

pre-set

I think there was a shooter from WMAR who was in several episodes of "Homicide: Life on the Street".

Warren

A WBAL buddy of mine named Mike Esposito was in the movie "ED TV" He was a photog. You can see him in practically every other shot. Only had one speaking line, though - said through a mouth full of pizza...

newz

I hope the bean counters don't get involved...before your know it, Grammer and Heaton will be running their own cameras AND acting. I suppose that would be a more realistic comedy about our industry!

Baltimore Shooter

I hope the bean counters don't get involved...before your know it, Grammer and Heaton will be running their own cameras AND acting. I suppose that would be a more realistic comedy about our industry!
Actually, that would be a funny bit. Have an MR type consultant telling them how they can do news better w/ 30 VJs running around and then, comedically, showing how the idea is flawed. That would be hilarious!

Warren

1911A1

There was a show on Fox (I think) about 10 years ago called "Live Shot", I think it only lasted 4 or 5 episodes. I never got a chance to see it.

Warren

It was one of the shows during UPN's first season in 1995. It lasted 13 episodes before it was pulled (Star Trek: Voyager was the only show from UPN's first season to last more than a single season).

B-Roll's thru_the_lens is the owner of a KXZX polo shirt (the call letters of the fictional teevee station in the series).

I loved the show. What's not to love about a station with a live van that has mag wheels and a flames painted on the side? ;)

Camera Face

Where did that article come from? Where is it cool to use the term "prexy?" That is the most obnoxious word ever.

Baltimore Shooter

Where did that article come from? Where is it cool to use the term "prexy?" That is the most obnoxious word ever.
It's from Variety and they use a lot of strange words like scribe (writer), laffer (comedy) skein (don't know what the hell that means) and others. Don't know what prexy is either.

Warren

soonershooter

Its about time. I always thought a show centered around local tv news would be a hit. I really hope the photographers in the show aren't shooting with "skeleton" cameras. By that I mean a basic camera with NOTHING on it. Nothing irritates me more than watching a movie or show that shows a news crew going live and all the photographer has is a camera and the reporter is holding a mic. No top light and no cables hooked into the camera YET THEY ARE LIVE!!! At least make an effort to make it somewhat realistic. The most recent example is in the movie "The Day After Tomorrow" where the FOX crew is somehow live while driving the live truck down the road. Finally, when the crew gets out of the truck to go live in front of the tornado, no mast is up and the camera isn't plugged into anything. Is it just me or does this bother any of you too???
This is getting LESS Unrealistic with every passing day. My station in Market 48(?) now has a digital microwave that CAN do live shots from a moving vehicle--although we haven't done one yet.
Another part of the digital microwave is a pack that we can attach to the back of our cameras and do a truckless and cableless live shot. Once again, we haven't used it yet.

My favorite incident of unrealistic depictions of TV News is the movie "Up Close and Personal" with Michelle Pfeiffer and Robert Redford. Pfeiffer goes to a prison to shoot a story, is allowed into the general population w/photog, then gets trapped in Prison when a riot breaks out. Wireless live shots abound, and there is NO attempted gang rape of her. Yeah, right.