FCP question...

TexasDave

There is some pixilation in portions of my video. Here’s the short version of what happened…

I had a computer issue and ended up loosing some video. I used Data Rescue II and recovered some of the lost material. I had the videos backed up on our network, so what wasn’t recovered I easily used the backup copy to replace the missing video.

Per request of our IT department, I originally backed the video up and put it on our network as an mpeg4. When I edited in the mp4 into the timeline, I did have to render, and the video looked fine on the monitors. Of course, the mp4 videos have already been compressed prior to putting them on the network.

So I’ve ran the entire final product through compressor, and when I watch the video on a TV, the pixilation becomes noticeable. The average viewer may not really notice, but I notice it and I’m trying to figure out a solution, if one exists.

When I watch the DVD on my big screen at home, the pixilation is very obvious and distracting. Do any of you happen to have any ideas to correct the problem? I am searching for a solution, but haven’t found one yet. I tired the sharpen filter, and it looked worse.

If anyone there can offer any suggestion, I would really appreciate it.

bluffton

Settings

TexasDave,

What are your timelines settings? What are the mp4 settings? Here's the gist of it. If you are editing HD, HDV, DV/NTSC and bring in a mp4, the final product will have artifacts.

So here's what I need:

- timeline format in you fcp project?
- mp4 compression info
-bit rate
-key frame rate
-frames per second
-aspect ratio

The biggest issue is aspect ratio. If it is smaller than what your timeline is set for, you will have artifacts no matter what IF you sized it to fit your timeline. If you didn't resize it, you are dealing with a lessor quality to a higher quality.

If you video has artifacts throughout the story, then you should redo the compression. It could be a simple setting in compressor you overlooked.

:)

TexasDave

So here's what I need:

- timeline format in you fcp project?
- mp4 compression info
-bit rate
-key frame rate
-frames per second
-aspect ratio

:)

I knew you would be able to offer a possible solution! Here's what you looking for...

-timeline - 720x480 DVCPRO 50 NTSC
-mp4 compression info - Not sure what you're looking for, but according to the settings, its also in 720x480.
-bit rate - on the DVD, I had a programmer who is authoring the DVD recommend 4.4mbs for the first volume, which is almost 130 minutes. I compressed using "best quality, 150 minutes" in compressor.
-key frame rate - not sure what you mean here?
-frames - 29.97
-aspect ration - 3:2

Hopefully this info is what you're looking for. If you want more, let me know. Thanks for helping!