FCP HD Effect...

Hey, our station just switched to FCP HD, and I was trying to do an effect the other day and I couldn't figure out how to do it.

I had a .tiff document I wanted to show over some video, but I wanted to have it roll down over the video, kind of like a page peel effect, but I wanted it to kind of fold out over the video, but I couldn't figure it out. I tried to do the page peel, but it didn't do anything.

Any suggestions.

Necktie Boy

First, make sure the still is the correct video size. If the file is the wrong size, FCP will resized it for you, using CPU power.
The easy way is to put the still on the second video track and add the effect, at the head at the tail. It sounds that you have to render the effect to see it on the timeline. You may have to set your timeline rendering to let you see real time playback.

zac love

I might now understand exactly what you're trying to do, but this seems like the solution you'd want.

Go into the motion tab of the tiff file, adjust the scale of the tiff and then adjust the positioning w/ key frames.

You should be able to make a tiff (or video, or jpeg, or...) move around the frame any way you want.

bluffton

If you're talking about the effect itself, you need to double click on the page peel and in the top right hand corner of the window there will be an arrow and some timing options elsewhere. You can control everything within the effect.

I occasionally need to do this. If your tif is on one video line and the other media on another, make sure you straddle the transition over the cut of video and black of the timeline. Otherwise you will get nothing if the transition is only on the tif and not centered over the cut.

Good luck.

Alaska cameradude

I JUST helped a PBS editor with this exact problem. The real issue is that you can't get it the
way you'd like with the built in page peel filter....at least she couldn't. What you want is CGM's
page peel (it has a nice 3D effect so you can see the back of the lower 3rd.) It's in CGM's DVE volume 1
Look here....
http://www.cgm-online.com/eiperle/cgm_e.html

If you want to see an example of what it looks like, email me and I can send you an example.

upclose

Alaska Cameradude is right

Alaska Cameradude is right. In FCP, the page peel is a transition. It needs 2 pieces of video to work. I've never gotten it to work on a single clip in its own video track.

Thanks for the responses. I'm sure our station won't spend the money to buy any plugins, so I guess I just won't be doing that effect, I just thought it would look cool.

Thanks again.