FC Express Quicktime Exports

I normally use premiere pro but recently switched to using FC Express on my laptop. I am working on a little project and capture all of my video onto a external hard drive connected via usb to my macbook. The software works fine and when I play my finished rendered sequence it plays fine. I exported as a quicktime movie and when I play it back in quicktime it has several audio glitches and motion within the video doesn't look good. I burned it to dvd using Idvd and it of course had the same glitches. Any of you have any solutions to this? The only things I can think of is that it is having trouble exporting when all of the video is on an external drive, or there is some problem withe the settings of codecs. I am new to FC on my macbook so any advice you have to make it run better is greatly appreciated.

bluffton

We'll walk you through it, HOPEFULLY!

what are the settings you are using in your timeline?
What settings are you using to export the file as?
what version of FCE and QT are you working with?
Have you updated FCE, QT, or any other applications since starting this project?

:confused:You should not have any problems exporting from an external drive since most FC users accomplish this daily without issue.:D You may want to check your quicktime movies in your capture scratch to see if they are corrupt.:eek:

-Anthony Mirones

file export w quicktime conversion
format: Quicktime movie
use : Default
under the optons tab:
compression: H.264
Quality: High
key frame rate: 24
frame reordering: yes
encoding mode : multi pass
dimensions: 424 by 318

There are even more options under settings, such as compressor type that I am sure have something to do with my export quality.
All of the video captured is off of a small consumer minidv sony camcorder. My estimate is that it is having trouble with the external hard drive I captured to. It is almost as if the hard drive may not be fast enough and also is connected via usb. Thanks for any help offered.

also using FCE 4.0. under sequence settings, render it is checked frame blending for speed. I assume this could be a problem.
quicktime version 7.4.5

bluffton

My Idea

Export using Not H.264 but whatever the timeline settings are.

If you used DV/NTSC the export the movie with that.
Those settings are
29.97fps
720x480(3:2)
48khz

If you are getting an audio issue during the export, try export the audio only as an aiff 48khz either stereo or mono

then export the video only and match them up in QTPro later. If you don't have QTPro, bring them into a new timeline and export it.

Also, export the clip to your desktop. But in a pinch I've exported 1gig size files to a flash drive and everything was fine. Of course I didn't try to play it off of there.

With that in mind, H.264 not a bulky format and can play off a cd in you computer. So, the problem may lie in your computer, not your external drive.

If you need to export using H.264 I strongly recommend using these settings:

You choose the size you want
24frames per second for sports like speed in video
15 frames per second for normal like stuff
12 frames per second for things that just don't move much

make sure you bring the level bar down to just above medium. There is little difference between medium and high other than the file size you create.

Also, use a 300key frame rate. This also brings the size down and there is no loss in quality. (250 for PAL)

Your audio should be IMA4 or AAC and bring that to 32khz mono, this will also make your file smaller.

If you are going to stream this, make sure you check the "hinted Streaming" box at the bottom.

And Your done.

I hope your audio issue goes away. I have never heard of this type of issue before, and now you are the first.

If these things don't help, go to www.kenstone.net.

they are going to want to know all of the information I asked upfront and tell them what your deal is. they will also want to know...
;)Was your audio recorded at 12bit or 16bit?