Faked Tapes

nparsons

Being a young man in a seasoned mans world.

"I don't think a 23-year old could shoot a tape like that. I got shoes older than you," he said.
Two months into my new employment, I shot some breaking news--a brush fire--that was, by LA standards, pretty spectacular.

The next day I got to work and the news director left me a message.

"Now I believe you did shoot that tape. You can stay..." he said.
Age discrimination is a beautiful thing. I was called "photojournalist jailbait" for a while here in my current market. Before that I was considered junior for being hired as an 18 year old in market 112, and then to jump up to market 48 as a 20 year old was eye brow raising to those i met.

I really felt that I had to show that the stuff on my tape was not a fluke, and that I really do have the EYE for this job. Taking the time to light my interviews, my live shots, and just making my video live on the screen has helped to gain some credibility too with the experienced folk around me.

Some Guy in LA

Camera Test

I have heard of some news director (or was it a chief?) hiring a person based on their ability to shoot a...fire hydrant. 30 seconds, edited. So much of what we shot doesn't move at all. I think the winning candidate including a dog!

sgila

Faked tapes

Hey,

Not in the position to hire or fire but have been asked to view showreels sent in by propesctive employees. 2 guys chasing the same job sent in practically the same showreel,less a couple of edits. Both claiming the material was 100% their own work????

We had another guy who was a junior member of staff at our company apply for a job with a showreel he co-produced with an experienced shoot-edit. When I say co-produced he was more of a junior partner as I heard on some rushes i discovered him being directed how to frame and expose the shot by the shoot-edit guy.

He got the job!

Now he spends most days creating his orange/blue, F16 masterpieces and trying to convince the rest of us that the kit is faulty.

Oh, he also likes shooting into the sun a lot and forgets to focus.

I don't quite understand how a camera fault makes you do that but hey what do I know?

Our bosses had previously asked people to come for an interview and then sprung the shooting test on them. That consisted of them picking up unfamiliar equipment being asked to accompany a reporter to a location and film for a 1min45 piece under a deadline. The reporter was being awkward and standing in the wrong place and fluffing lines etc etc , just like normal ;-). They had to get voxes etc.

We discovered people who couldn't even switch the camera on.

Why then this other guy got through hell knows????

So many people in UK/Europe call themselves camera operators but actually are AUTO-Everything types. The skill has gone.

Bring back shooting tests!!!!

(Sin)ical

Forget the tape and shooting test, do they know how to roll cable? Throw out some cable and ask them to roll it up, if they can't over and under a cable then they are not qualified to maintain the gear.

Necktie Boy

It's a joke.....Rolling hundreds and hundreds of cable, I hope I have the hang of it.
But you do have a winner "Those that roll right can roll both ways!"

When I came here to market 76ish, my chief took me out for a half day of shooting. I had to shoot a VOB, edit a package (not under deadline) and assist with a live hit. I don't think a bozo would have made it through (unless you count me!)

svp

When I interviewed for my current job, it was a two day interview. The first day was the sit down interview and the second day I worked freelance and went out with a reporter and shot and edited a package for air (and got paid to do it). Obviously, I got the job.

I've heard alot of stories about bad photogs sending out tapes with other photogs work.

Perhaps b-roll.net needs a "Blacklist" tab with the names of photogs who have been caught sending out resume tapes containing other photographers' work.

yellowbeta

I actually had someone use one of my stories on his tape. Funny thing, I found out when he asked me to look at his tape before he sent it out.

Don't worry, the person in question later decided to just get out of the business.

rayzate

The Few The Strong The Photojournailst!

Well Im crawling out of that young age now, I know alot of you will hate me because I feel old, but im only 24.....I can hear the boos now!

But I started 1 month out of high school in Market 99 EL Paso. I paid my dues and worked for 5 1/2 years their at two different stations, Recently I made a move and now am in Nashville.
But I too have gotten that Age discrimination, I was 23 when I came to Nashville, There are photogs here that are old enough to be my grandfather, good photogs, and in my first week they told me it would take about a month to learn to learn the editing systems and get familiar with the equipment.

About a week later, I had it down, and often I am the one offering the advice, my news director submitted my work in every freakin contest their is.

Im not braging (WELL I know it looks like I just did) but every now and then some people are just born with it. THE EYE or THE EAR or even the Hands. I honestly think were a certain breed, I go to NAB every year, and I can always tell who are the photogs among the crowd, we have a certain way we carry ourselves, a certain walk. No one can fake it, at least not in the higher markets. And its a shame that someone would try and claim somebody elses work, take pride in what you do, its not a job, its your career, and for the rare breed, its your life. Live it Love it Shoot it!!

this message approved by the Rayzate for President 2008

Brock Samson

Had a guy I used to work with use a couple of my stories, and a couple a buddy of mine did on his tape. We caught him in the act of putting the tape together, it was one of the most infuriating things that I have ever experienced in my life.

Latin Lens

You know that wierd feeling you get when someone you work with (who's looking for job)...goes "Remember that strory you did in Feburary about that pet hospital fire...that was really great. Awesome photography....what day did that happen?"...kinda makes you wonder why they are asking and what they plan on doing with it. Or is it just me?

Goon

Had a guy I used to work with use a couple of my stories, and a couple a buddy of mine did on his tape. We caught him in the act of putting the tape together, it was one of the most infuriating things that I have ever experienced in my life.
Did you string him up?