Extracting video from a DVD

Shocker

Any of the consumer DVD copying programs will allow you to rip a DVD to your hard drive. I've used Roxio Media Creator and Pinnacle Studio to rip DVDs. You can choose mpeg 2 format or avi using these programs.

Chugach3DGuy

I just learned a quick and dirty trick myself:

Open up the Video TS folder on your computer and copy all of the large VOB files to your hard drive. Once they're copied over, change their extension from VOB to M2V. Now you have an instant MPEG. Mpegs aren't the greatest files to edit, but sometimes, that's all you're stuck with.

lostrobot

woot!

I just learned a quick and dirty trick myself:

Open up the Video TS folder on your computer and copy all of the large VOB files to your hard drive. Once they're copied over, change their extension from VOB to M2V. Now you have an instant MPEG. Mpegs aren't the greatest files to edit, but sometimes, that's all you're stuck with.

That is RAD. I'm totally gonna try that when I get to work tomorrow. I usually hook up my XDCAM to a DVD player and record the clips onto blu-ray.

Since your on a PC and don't have Sony Vegas I would continue doing it the way you are. There is little to no quality loss and yeah it takes a little longer but it works....that is how I load them at work with our AVID system.