Edius

Chronically Confused

Question about Edius video editing software if any of you use it.
I think the answer to this is a simple NO, but I was wondering if there is a way to set up the program so that every time I open up a new project, it will open up with these certain criteria so that I don't have to do this every. single. time:

-Open up 5 sequences
-Have all track heights at number 3
-Enable all audio rubber bands

Thanks

Turdpolisher

Are you on Edius 3 or 4? I ask because as easy and adaptable as Edius 3 is, 4 is supposed to be hands down a better product. We've been on Edius 3 for just over a year, and we're still learning about some of the neat things it can do.

First the easy part. No, everytime you open a new project, you'll have to open each audio track to enable the rubberbands.

All of our guys use audio track height 1. But that sounds like a a default you should be able to set.

I'm not sure what you mean by opening up 5 sequences.

Turdpolisher

I went back into our system and poked around a bit. I couldn't find a setting that would allow you to open a new project with the tracks at anything but height 1. there is a shortcut to change the height: shift+ctrl+the height number you want. Our system does not work with the numbers on the right side of the keyboard.

As for opening multiple sequences together, there is a merge project function. We don't use it, but if I remember our training correctly, that may be what you are looking for.

Douglas

I have never used Edius, so maybe this isn't a solution, but why can't you just create an empty "template" project that has everything set up the way you want it -- except no clips? That's what I've done with FCP. That's actually a pretty standard technique with any software program. Just an idea.

Doug

lucky13

I'm pretty sure you cannot tell edius to open a default # of sequences, or open rubber bands, but our program opens with audio height set to 2 as a default setting-so maybe you can change that. I have a template for an ongoing series that I edit, which has all the tracks I need and the layout I prefer, I just save it as something different before I put clips in.

Turdpolisher

layouts

You can save different layouts in Edius. Rt.click on the Edius icon at the upper left of the player viewer. Somewhere in that drop-down menu is a layout option. Here you can customize the number of video and audio tracks, as well as the control buttons you like under the playback/recorder viewer. It, however, does not save track height.

My Edius guru and I have been on that since reading this last night. We'll keep you posted.

Chronically Confused

Thanks for the input. Sorry, I've been extremely busy these last 2 days and this is my first chance to get back to this.

I totally meant to say that I'm on Edius 4 right now. I think 4.2. I'll have to check out that support page that was mentioned earlier.

As far as sequences go, rocky got it right. I seem to do 2 vosots and a pkg every day. So, I open up 5 sequences: VO, SOT, PKG, VO, SOT

Douglas, I'm not sure how to create an empty template...perhaps I am not fully undersatnding that. I'm trying to make it so that every time I open a new project, I don't need to spend 5 minutes adjusting the same things every time. I've played with the application settings and changed a few things around, but there are a few things missing in the options that seemingly should be there, i.e. track height settings.

I'll see if I can do that Layout options that t-boy mentioned. Thanks for looking into it further. I appreciate it :) We're really new to edius so I may have further questions down the road. Thanks!

Necktie Boy

I believe what Douglas is saying is to save a project the way you want to open up everytime. Don't add any media to the project. Open the saved project with your settings, and add the new footage. Then if you save it, save it with a different name. This way, you have a "template" that you can use over and over.

Douglas

I believe what Douglas is saying is to save a project the way you want to open up everytime. Don't add any media to the project. Open the saved project with your settings, and add the new footage. Then if you save it, save it with a different name. This way, you have a "template" that you can use over and over.
That's it.

Chronically Confused

Oh wow! That's perfect! I never even thought of that :) I'll try that and see how it works. Maybe the autosave feature won't mess up the template

--edit--

One other thing that has been REALLY annoying me is that when minimized and I click on one of the 3 windows to bring the program forward, it does not bring the entire program forward all the time.

The 3 windows are: Player/Recorder, Timeline, Bin
If I click on timeline window, sometimes all 3 windows will open, sometimes only the timeline will open...why would I just want to see the timeline and nothing else? Makes no sense to me, so I was wondering if there is something I'm doing wrong and a way to always make it open.

Sometimes I just minimize the other program that is in front of edius and that works, but I don't do that all the time

Last edited:

Necktie Boy

To not mess up your template, after you import the files that you need, "Save As" so that it "auto saves" to the new project name. And remember to save often, if the computer crashes, you still have your project where you left off.

lbvp

C.C.

I thought that little feature had been corrected. I think the current v. is 4.52 ( I need to go check myself

jcarroll10

I've just edited my first PKG on Edius. Your question and answers will be very helpfull to me. Right now Windows Movie Maker seems to be more user friendly then this Edius...tell me it gets easier.

rexreed

I have drank the Kool Aid that is Canopus. It will get easier for you- just start simple and ask questions! Like I said- I really like the software now.