Editor Reel...good enough to use?

op54321

Editor Reel

I'm at the moment doing my 2nd internship at a station in Orlando and recently updated my resume reel...I'm planning to apply for some editor jobs in the near future and I'd like to get some feedback...I realized after I uploaded it that there's an audio issue around 2:30-2:35, and I haven't had a chance to re-edit and upload it yet, so just disregard that. >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdE-aklfhQM&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

cyndygreen1

When cutting a camera movement allow a second or so for the eye to focus on the scene before beginning the move. You repeated this several times...cutting in the middle of a move. Also, I might have cut the child's giggle to the initial sound and not held on it for so long.
Second pkg is edited much tighter...flows better. Third pkg okay.
You might want to put your information at the end of the reel as well as the beginning...and add to that information the type of job you seek (editor).

Overall, competent to pretty good editing. I personally wouldn't have started with or even included the autistic child pkg because the editing has too many flaws. The mayor pkg is much stronger. I don't know that you need to include all of each pkg...although I like the mayor story, the standup at the end was too long...you might want to consider fading it out early.

fotofinish

Try re-editing the autistic boy pkg. When I look at a resume tape (excuse me ) reel, I want to see almost perfection. In a reel, you have the time to make it perfect. In the real world, we know there are time considerations. Rock your reel, show me what you can bring to the table that other editors don't have. Put your own spin on the pkg, then ask Pat or Pete what they think.

cyndygreen1

Out of curiousity...why aren't you going for shooter/editor? You need to be in a pretty big market to just be an editor.

AKinDC

If you're applying for an editor job, one in which you don't do anything else, your reel needs to blow people away. You have to demonstrate that you can edit in ways that a reporter or producer couldn't. Know how to take an average story and make it sing? Know how to use Motion or After Effects? The stories here are fine, but if you really want to specialize, you need a little more wow.

Latin Lens

Just out of curiousity...you say you are on your 2nd internship, so is anyone giving any guidance to you there? The reason I ask is because while this editing reel is decent you still have a lot to learn. A lot. If anyone is guiding you I wonder why this reel is so weak? Basic editing editing is one thing but in order to put a full package together you need to put forth some better material. I don't know how many stations are left that hire editors anymore to help edit reporter content or just investigative editors because most photogs will handle their own edits...so the actual editors a station hires cut VOs or VOSOTs all day or pull down content from national/wire sources. Its almost entry level. So in order to standout as an editor you need to be stronger in basic editing techniques...know some non-linear transitions that are subtle yet effective and try to jazz up boring documents by using effects and motion effects...anything to help some intermediate/advance skills.

Necktie Boy

Looked at your work Pacing, Pacing, Pacing.

The first story was slow, and it seems shots stayed on the screen too long. I know the VO wasn't the best.

The second story was the better one, but still lack punch! I would have liked to see the documents pop out.

I liked the commercials. Nothing special, but don't know how much time you put into them. When I cutting commercials for the station, I had about two hours to cut. Since it was done in-house, not too much was spent, but I was still required to make them pop!

Latin Lens hit the mark, as always. Most editors edit VOs or VOSOTs all day or pull down content from national/wire sources. Very few cut packages or features. In these times, a shooter/editor is more bang for the dollar than just an editor.

op54321

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'm going to keep working on it and I hear what you're saying about needing to make it stand out more, but I've been told it's best to stay away from using too many effects/transitions in news editing specifically...so that's why I was hesitant.

Know some non-linear transitions that are subtle yet effective and try to jazz up boring documents by using effects and motion effects...anything to help some intermediate/advance skills.
Could you give me an example of what kind of effects or transitions you'd do on a shot like those documents? Or a little more specific on how my reel is weak? Sorry for all the questions, would just like to improve it as much as I can. Thanks!

Last edited:

op54321

Try re-editing the autistic boy pkg. When I look at a resume tape (excuse me ) reel, I want to see almost perfection. In a reel, you have the time to make it perfect. In the real world, we know there are time considerations. Rock your reel, show me what you can bring to the table that other editors don't have. Put your own spin on the pkg, then ask Pat or Pete what they think.
Thanks for the advice.. Do you work at WESH?
I'll definitely try re-editing it now that I've gotten some feedback from a few people... I didn't want to completely take it out because I think it's a strong story visually and has some good nat sound to work with.

photoguy603

I think transitions have their place...even in news. But they need to be SUBTLE. A slow dissolve between pictures in a memorial piece works. DO NOT dissolve between every shot of a breaking story. And above all else no matter how tempting it is....don't use a star or heart wipe for anything.....please.

op54321

I think transitions have their place...even in news. But they need to be SUBTLE. A slow dissolve between pictures in a memorial piece works. DO NOT dissolve between every shot of a breaking story. And above all else no matter how tempting it is....don't use a star or heart wipe for anything.....please.
Haha agreed. I'm fairly sure I would never find myself tempted to do anything that involves hearts and/or stars. ;)

Necktie Boy

Sound can be a transition. Screen direction can be a transition. It can guide you to your next edit. It doesn't necessary have to be video transition.

This was for a production I did, so the time frame wasn't that tight as a new story.

I was editing a project where student films were going to be shown on government access television. instead of a boring CG with the title of the movie and director's name, I used an old script that I have. Luck had it that the printing department had the same blue covering as my script. The Print Department printed out the names of the movies and directors. I placed the new cover with the name on the script. Using a desk with movie props, I would toss the script into frame. Each "movie" had its own title page. Part of the reason it work, I have real Hollywood script. The kids did like the effect. Nothing crazy, but way better than a CG.

In your case, you could scan the document bigger, and zoom in or underline or highlight the words or sentences for your story. If not enough time, use the document in the background, and type out the words or the sentences that you need. Then add some motion to make them pop.

Don't know if this would have worked, but you could have worked with the shooter, and had the documents placed on a desk, one at a time, while a typed out sentence would pop in. An arm would place the document on a staff of other papers.

Watch the network news, and see how they handle documents.

The Autistic Boy Package really didn't seem to work for me. The shooting. The voice over. The story. It just didn't click for me.
I don't think it was set up right. It needed a better angle.