Editing on the AJ-HPM200 p2 Portable Laptop

Any information would be great! We will be editing in HD with these things in a few months and just need as much info as possible! Thanks
Leighton Grant

zac love

Can you explain why you're getting that & not a laptop with a NLE?

You can get 3 sets of: 17" MacBook Pro, Final Cut Studio & a Matrox MXO2 for the same price.

Every time I look at that HPM200 I just think that is is built for people using P2 (a non-linear shooting format) but want to edit in a linear fashion (ie tape to tape).

I've used some portable Beta SX & DVCPro editors & they were great for editing in the field. But once I started editing on a laptop, I just don't get what the appeal is.

The only thing I see is that they can work like a VTR in the field. So get an I/O expansion for the laptop & turn the laptop into a VTR.

That is why this is so frustrating! We edit on Avid in House, but in the field our company has decided to go with the 200! I can't speak for them! I wish I knew!

At the scene

Shooting I'm not sure about the 200 but I have used the 110. What a waste of money! When my old station went all p2 in 06 we were told we had to have that 110 editor in the field. The 110 was a linear editor took us twice as long to edit than tape to tape. The station sent them all back except for one.

When I left the station we were using it as a dubbing station for court dubs and or anything else that we were pool feeds at.

If at all possible see if the station can demo one for awhile, then you can see if it's useful or not.

Goodluck!!

shootist

PRO user
Sorry...not what you're looking for but I've gotta go +1 with what's been posted.

We've been cutting w/ AVID on laptops in the field for about 5 years now. I was asked to sit in on the sales pitch for this device.

We were polite but basically at the end...we decided that ONLY thing we would use it for was recording basketball games at the NCAA tournament. That was it. Laptop did EVERYTHING better and cheaper. I turned to our News IT guy and said that this MIGHT be right for our cross-town competition as they are only in the planning stages of moving from tape-to-tape and this might be an easier learning curve for some.

But for any newsroom already cutting NL...THIS IS A HUGE STEP BACKWARDS. DON'T DO IT.

zac love

Glad to see I'm not crazy in thinking these things are crazy.

Yeah, there is no reason why you can't get a version of Avid that runs on a laptop that does everything this does for a fraction of the price.

Did a sales rep fly someone from your company to Vegas or something?

I appreciate and agree with all the comments, but I need someone who has used this darn thing! Anybody out there actually edit on it? I have talked with my managers for the last 4 months about getting laptops in the field, but Sinclair Broadcasting has decided to give us the 200 for field editing! I really need some advice on how it edits! I read the link earlier but I would love someone's personal experiences! I'm afraid no one out there has used this thing!