Eat Pray Love - Seek advice on monetizing footage

Petruk

Back in 1997 I had a VX-1000 and I worked on a never completed documentary on Balinese Healers. One of the healers I interviewed was Ketut Liyer, who is a major figure in the best-selling book "Eat Pray Love" (Movie with Julia Roberts to be release in August 2010.)

I have an hour-long interview with Liyer as well as a lot of b-roll that has never aired. I wonder if folks here have any ideas on how to monetize the material given the huge interest in EPL. I could list it with a stock agency, I know. But I assume I could find an editor to cut it together and sell a finished piece. Any suggestions? To give you a sense of the quality, here is a bit of footage of a different healer I shot at the same time. (Not asking for a critique, I know the footage is dicey).

Thanks very much or any help in advance.

Chicago Dog

It's going to be very difficult to sell footage that's 13 years old. Nowadays, even public broadcasting in Chicago uses high definition video for their broadcasts. Sorry to say, but the quality of today's devices is far superior and unmatched by anything in '97.

As a suggestion, you might want to consider resurrecting the project. If it was never completed, you've still got a fresh idea that's going to be very timely thanks to the release of the feature film (which is, I'm assuming, a ficticious story).

Learn from your experiences, consider what you can do better this time around, and give it a go. Your second attempt will almost certainly outshine the first.

Using pop culture is an excellent way to springboard a documentary into the public eye.

zac love

Other thing to figure out is who owns the footage. Did you just work on it? Or was it your project? Do you have any video releases?

Unless there is very little video with Liyer, or if this video is very unique there might be some interest. But I think Chicago Dog is correct that there might not be much interest in it. Though if you find the right person who is interested in the video, you can make money, but that is really if you can find that person & if they exist.

Your best bet is to follow Chicago Dog & try to piggy back on the new interest of Liyer. Complete the old project, or incorporate the footage into a new one.

Chicago Dog

Complete the old project, or incorporate the footage into a new one.
I like the idea of incorporating the old footage with some new stuff. Good call.

One more thing I forgot to mention: you may want to feel out interest in your project by assembling a segment or two with your very best video and sound. Use that segment to explain that you want to do a similar but higher quality production.

Michaelrosenblum

Set up a website.
put up some stills, a few video snippets and some text (assuming you own the rights here).
Finish the cut and burn a DVD
Sell the DVD online from your home.
$19.95 plus shipping and handling.
Those who want it will buy it.
Those who don't, won't.
Have no idea what the potential market is, but it's all profit to you.
If the movie is a big hit, you should do nicely, and maybe be the first in the market with the product. who knows?
Nicely packaged it should be worth what you will charge.
have fun.

Petruk

Clearing confusions

Thanks for the advice. But to address some confusions:

"Eat Pray Love" is a non-fiction story - so this healer, Ketut Liyer, is a real person. Julia Roberts is playing the author in the upcoming movie.

Here's a screen grab from my footage.

I own all the footage - I shot it all. I have the BetaSP dubs right in front of me. (But no deck, sadly! Gotta figure out a cheap way to get it into FCP! Any suggestions on that would also be appreciated as well!

That piece that I linked to - of a different healer - was used as the basis of a segment by Burrud productions for a rather exploitative show on Discovery called "Beyond Bizarre". I heard they wanted weird footage, and they bought the footage as stock.

I hadn't thought of going back to Bali for more footage, and using this as "flashback" material. Interesting. I appreciate the suggestion of simply marketing the material on my own, as a DVD.

I am surprised to hear that NTSC standard footage is all but useless now. I assume historical stock is all upgraded to HD - I wonder if I should do that before editing.

THanks again, any suggestions appreciated.

DAN MCGUIRE

Petruk

more hype...

Time magazine just did a story about the above-mentioned healer....

<http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2005158,00.html>

nautilusvideo

As you know most theatrical releases are followed by a DVD with "Bonus" content. Contact the studio that is producing the Roberts film and see if you can find out what production company is producing the bonus content and ask if they or the studio is interested in your archival footage.

I disagree with MR. I wouldn't produce your own DVD/show unless you have clear market or interested broadcaster.