Dress code

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHIEFPHOTDOG

Just about a month ago our facilities manager got the notion of making it mandatory for Photographers to wear station polo's up until now I just asked that my shooters dress professionally, but for the most part pretty casual. Now our FM is gone and I'm wondering if this is sometthing we should keep, so I'm asking you how do most shooters dress?

1911A1

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with it--as long as the station provided the polos (one of the stations in this market does that, IIRC). Otherwise, I'm wearing what I damn well please (as long as it looks professional). My station "sells" logoed polo shirts, but the prices are f*cking outrageous and I refuse to buy one.

Frank McBride

I've done all of my shooting in the southeast where heat and humidity abound. Most shooters dress in polo shirts or button-ups with t-shirts under to absorb the inevitable perspiration. Some simply wear t-shirts, but that's not the norm. Blue jeans are common as are dockers. In the hot summer months shorts are not uncommon, mostly blue jean.

I've only had one station with a dress code, which was reasonable: Shirts must have collars and shorts must be appropriate to the story. (beach story: yes; funeral: no) Obviously pants splattered with paint or with holes would not be appropriate, either. I don't think you can go much beyond that unless you are willing to provide clothing/allowance.

FMc

WV24fpspro

There are a few key issue to remember in this one. How reasonable is it? One could have a written policy which says long sleeved collared shirts only, or how about the opposite, short sleeved only. Could one "expect" to see a video crew wearing long sleeves on a long daytime shoot being outdoors in the sun on just an eighty degree day- or how about a ninety five degree one?

On the other extreme in weather: Can one expect dress shoes for a video unit when there's over six inches of snow on the ground; or they're going to be covering a flood scene?

Sometimes logic AND common sense get overlooked when writting these types of regulations and procedures. Try to remember that videographer work can be a physical job and one which has to endure the extremes of the outdoors. Add the salary of a videographer to that and ones just wanting to add to the list of job insecurity.

Let's throw common sense out the window: All video crews now have to go to Jos A Banks for their work uniforms, while the anchors can now get away with the new OP look.

corpvid

Not being a chief, I'd like to add my own comments that may help.

I have a fairly extensive corporate background. There I learned that you must look professional all the time. PERIOD! There is no excuse for an employee to come to work looking sloppy- no matter what job you do. I believe that it discredits any company when the employees look like they are on vacation when at work. It takes just as much time to dress nicely as it does to dress inappropriately. This is a profession that is relationship driven, so we must make a good impression, even if it is 110 in the shade.

if its 110 in the shade no matter how nice i dress i am not going to look good when i have sweat pouring from everywhere...polo shirts and shorts are the norm for summer here in jax florida...as long as your clothes are not dirty or ripped...IMHO...if i'm not comfortable in my clothes it is going to nag at me while i'm shooting just my 2 cents... :D

SmlMktChief

Our station provides polo shirts with logos and a light weather jacket. We wear shorts, as long as they look nice, or jeans. The polo's not only identify each person a a member of the media, you also don't have someone walking up to you and asking "What station do you work for?" I personly like them, because it doesn't cost me anything for something to wear each day.

SHOOT TO KILL

My station charges us 25 bucks for the shirt and even if I wore it the viewers in my dma would still ask me what station I am from. Half the shooters in my shop pay and wear the station polo, less than half wear shorts even though it is hot here.

As for your question, if they gave me free stuff to wear i would probably wear it just so I wouldn't ruin the stuff I pay for and care about.

WV24fpspro

Guess what? There's looking professional, and then there's the law...

If someones incredibly stupid enough to put a policy into writting which states that someone must even wear something such as long sleeves outside in the sun on a ninety degree day; then they are breaking the law- literally.

The written document will serve as proof against the station in both a criminal case violation and also a civil case. Even a verbal request of this nature can also result in both criminal and civil cases.

Case in point; ever heard of OSHA? There are OSHA regs and laws reguarding this. Ones lack of understanding these regs isn't an excuse.

If I'd happen to witness something such as this I'd document it, complain to the station (in person), and then foward the proof to both OSHA and to the local DA. I'd also take the time to advise the person in the greenhouse of their civil rights and that they have a solid case.

By the way, get those darn shower things ready for the next blizzard.

[ September 15, 2004, 01:28 AM: Message edited by: WV24fpspro ]

Dedline

Dress code could be whatever you're comfortable with wearing, when going to dispute a ticket. If you're dumb enugh to show up in ripped jeans, flip flops and a tank top, perhaps you shouldn't be allowed to interact with the public :)
Hmmm, thats what I wore to work on the house the other day...

FastFord

The Whizzer provides us with polo shirts, (with company logo embroider) and kaki pants. Also we each get light jackets for fall and spring and a heavy coat for winter.

This all came about as our former company president said "I'm tired of Whiz Cams looking like a bunch of vagabonds."
As I happened to be in ear-shot, I turned and commented, "well, we're out there in all kinds of weather, sloping around fire and/or crash scenes. Do you really think we're going to want to trash a brand new $50 pair of pants?"

The kicker, or atleast for me is I (for the most part anyway) wore a polo shirt and Docker's type pants. I'd pick them up at *Gabe's,,, the shirts often for $2, and pants for $5....

*Gabe's/Gabrial Brother's - buys close out, discontinued, slightly irregular, or slightly damaged stuff.

Lenslinger

I once worked at a station where the dickhead GM once decreed photogs couldn't wear jeans. It was of his many whimsical mandates that, thankfully, died on the vine. In retrospect I don't even think photog apparel was his biggest concern; the smarmy bastard just enjoyed sucking the lifeblood out of his staff whenever he got the chance. But that's a subject for another thread.

As for dress codes in general, I reluctantly agree they are sometimes needed. Too often, some of our lens-bearing brethren look like homeless people on impromptu camping trips. Couple that with their power-suited reporter partners and you have a very downtrodden perception of those of us behind the glass. Thus, some kind of sartorial threshold is usually a good idea.

But does it have to be a uniform? I find that almost insulting, as if we photogs don't have the common sense to even dress ourselves within a limit of standards. Like I sometimes have to remind my wife, I'M GROWN! (She frequently begs to differ of course.)

At my shop, our GM graciously supplies us with a plethora of logowear, and during the colder months it's not uncommon to see a variety of stylish jackets, windbreakers, golf and denim shirts - all sporting the ubiquitous Fox 8 logo. It's like a freakin' catalog shoot sometimes!

Next on the photog runway, young Jeffery sports the latest in white-balance fashion - faded jean shorts and yellow Chuck Connor tennies topped off with a delightful chartreuse logo smock. Why, he'll be the envy of ALL the fellows down by the crime-tape in THAT ensemble...

Thankfully, however, there is no official policy demanding we wear any of the stuff (though it would stupid to affront the GM's generosity by not donning at least the occasional branded item). I personally don't wear alot of it, but that has more to do with my desire to remain incognito than any high fashion sense. Others fall somewhere along the lines, and it works out nicely. As far as I know, no one's been pulled aside and quizzed about their personal clothing choices. Yet.

It seems the more questionable garb surfaces during the summer months. Here in the rolling hills of central North Carolina, it gets hot during the summer. Wicked HOT. By late May a choking cloud of smothering humidity drifts in and doesn't dissipate 'til late September. It's not uncommon to hear a faint splash when one walks outside, and I for one sweat like a runaway convict dodging guard tower spotlights. Ask any reporter I've ever worked with.

To not be able to wear shorts during these insufferable months would be akin to slow torture. Mercifully, there is no such rule here. Shorts abound, and though logoed golf shirts are readily available, bright tropical shirts and even t-shirts are far more common. In the worst of the dog days, I average two ugly Hawaiian shirts a day (and half a can of deodorant!). My fellow photogs cloak themselves in whatever floats their boat - and we are a happier crew of shooters for it. We may not win any grand fashion trophies, but neither are we an embarrasment to our better-dressed lens puppets - especially when we're kicking the competition's ass where it counts, through the viewfinder.

So count me as one who prefers to dress however I may choose, knowing that I have to live with the consequences. I'm not an accountant, a car salesman, or a plumber. I'm a TV news photog, one who's awful glad my management team trusts me to come to work looking like the hard-working creative professional they hired me to be.

Now where did I put that Hoobastank t-shirt? ;)

[ October 08, 2004, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: Lenslinger ]

Baltimore Shooter

Originally posted by Lenslinger:
Too often, some of our lens-bearing brethren look like homeless people on impromptu camping trips.
Any of you ever done any behind-the-scenes of movies or TV shows? The grips, camera assistants and just abouyt all of them look like they came out of the grease pit at Jiffy Lube. Talk about looking like homeless people...damn!

Warren

Run&Gun

I did a shoot for PGA Productions when the tour was in Charlotte back in May. No one bothered to tell me we were supposed to wear long pants(khakis), so I showed up with a polo shirt(tucked in, of course) and khaki shorts. The producer looked at me and asked if I knew about the "pants rule" and I told him no one informed me and I never received the info sheets that everyone else did. I politely insinuated(sp) that if this wasn't acceptable that I would leave, but not return because it would take me probably two plus hours to get back because of my distance from there plus the media shuttle situation and that they would be billed my full day rate regardless of whether I worked or not becasue it was lack of communication on their part for me not having proper attire.

By the way, I made three hours O.T. off of them that day. ;)

[ October 08, 2004, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: Run&Gun ]

Baltimore Shooter

I did the Booz Allen Hamilton Classic in MD for PGA Tour (we have a lot of clients in common Chris). Your experience must have made sure they told us a couple weeks in advance. So I showed up with a polo shirt and khaki's. Whew! They were pretty cool people...for golfers. haha.

Warren

Run&Gun

The onsite producer was actually a pretty nice guy, I guess he had people over him that he was worried about saying something about it to him, but everything went off without a hitch, even got complemented on how good my live shots looked.

I'm glad I wasn't informed up front, though, it was as hot as hell that day and I still sweated my but off even in shorts... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.