Does membership have its privileges?

tubecamera-or-bust

Sorry to sound like an old TV ad...

I've been a freelance videographer for 20+ years but never a member of the NPPA. I'm wondering if the membership or really the ID card you must get with becoming a member helps to get you into newsworthy events to photograph if you are not working directly for a station or newspaper where you would have their credentials around your neck?

Thanks!

Lensmith

I don't know of anyone who truly has twenty years of experience shooting news and refers to themselves as a "videographer".

But I guess there's always a first time.;)

Lensmith

I liked your web site. It looks like you do a lot of good work.

I did have a problem seeing the pictures completely as they cycled through and, not being a computer guy myself, I don't know how to describe the problem I had seeing them other than...they would only load to half way down the shot, then stop. Sometimes it would show me the whole picture, then cycle to the next...but only half of it.

The shots I could see looked very pro. They speak well of the talents a client would get from your services.

As far as the NPPA goes for where you are in your career...I'm just not sure what the best advice would be for your situation.

You, like myself, do a lot of work where we do not have control over the entire finished product. The NPPA is geared more for those who have that complete control.

Does that make sense?

The NPPA has it's positives but, do to different work situations, it does not fit everyones needs. Especially those who work as independent contractors at the whim of all kinds of different clients.

Just my thoughts...;)

tubecamera-or-bust

Hey John:

I guess what I'm trying to determine is, does the NPPA have enough name recondition that just displaying their membership card on your person will carry enough weight to get one access to newsworthy events. In cases where I may not be working for one specific client and who would have the access. That would be my only reason for joining at this point.

Visit the freelance forum as I started a similar thread over there and there has been some input.

RE: the slow loading pics... Probably a combination of distance from the server to your location, perhaps a slow line at your end (do you have high speed internet or dialup) and maybe your computer is busy doing something else more important. Most see them just fine, I've found. Thanks for the heads up, though.

Lensmith

No, the membership card will not get you anywhere as a form of press i.d.

I have high speed internet on this end. I´ll try and check your site again later to see if anything is different.;)

Just checked again. The pics still don´t show more than a third to maybe a half from the top. Too bad. I´d like to see more of them.

Frank McBride

I can't say the NPPA card has ever gotten me anything other than a permanent imprint on the inside of my wallet window. The truth is I've never tried using it for access, because I don't believe anyone outside of the profession would recognize it.

FMc