Demo Tape Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jajack71

I work in a decent size market (70)I'm a overnight photog/editor. Very rarely do I get to do a package. I shoot things that mainly end up as a vo or vo sot's. So when I put a tape together I uses the pkg that I shot the vo for. I can shoot and edit use nat sound blah blah blah. It's just that my shift doesn't allow the type of coverage that a day side shooter/editor gets to display. So while I have shot a few pkg filling in for some one all I really have are the widely hated fire vo or accident vo. This dosen't mean I can't do then I just do get as many cances as the rest of the staff. So any suggestions on what to put on my tape Other than a sticker that reads Hey I can shoot and edit too I just work Overnights!!!

Run 'n' Get 'em

I'd say to just put your best work, make sure your resume' states clearly that you work the overnight shift and hope for the best... After all, You've got what you've got

stix

All the basics still apply to vo's & vosot's. If you use shooting practises that show you 'get it', then whoever may be looking at your tape should recognize you have the skills to do the other apsects of the job.

photog14

jackjack, you're just not trying hard enough. you work overnights i would be willing to bet that every once in awhile you might have some down time. considering you don't get to work w/ reporters that often you need to put together some solid nat pieces. a well done nat piece shows the chief a lot, and more importantly you know how to tell a story w/o a reporter track. i don't know where you work, but again, i would be willing to bet that you could find some decent stories working the graveyard shift. just think about what a day is like for the people up working just like you (24hr gas station, diner, mailman (they get up pretty early) truck drivers, bums out walking the street, the guy on the corner who plays the guitar.) these stories are everywhere and if those don't work try turning your fires and accidents into nat pieces. mic the firefighters, mic the cop, mic the fire hydrant for christ sake... do something besides write "nat sound...blah blah blah.

El Guapo

There's an easy solution to this. Just re-edit the packages that you shoot and never edit. Tell the photog that DOES edit your stuff to set aside your raw, the reporter audio, and the script when he's done. Then, come in on your own time and re-edit it YOUR way. Now you have a package that you shot AND edited. So what if it never aired...it's still a reflection of you overall abilities.

jajack71

Thanks for all of your suggestions except for Photog 14 Blah just meant you know the routine we all work in the same business so no need for writing every single word out. Lighten up I bet you are one uptight photog. Everyo :confused: ne else thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.