Dead Beat Producer

Public Notice:

I would only do this when it's the intent to defraud is clear and obvious. I've held off long enough.

I did audio on a production shoot for Stoveboat Productions of Washington DC, owned by Bob Venase in December of 2003. It was a reality type shoot with lots of wireless microphones including rentals out of my pocket, three cameras, etc. This was negotiated as a standard Net 30 job, my invoice was never disputed, nor was the quality or satisfaction of my work ever an issue.

Despite Mr. Venase's promise on several occasions since then that the the invoices would be paid - include late & finance fees, and repeated requests for payment, not one dime has ever been received. To my knowledge, no one on that crew has been paid.

Marty Atias
ATS Communications

Baltimore Shooter

And to think...all the flack I got when I mentioned that all first time clients pay at the end of the shoot or on a credit card, now it seems reasonable and acceptable. Whod'a thunk it?

Marty also put this out the the ITVA DC listserve, had some great responses, many of them mirroring my thoughts.

Warren

ntxshooter

collections

Give your materials to a collection agency. That will do one of two things.

1. Get paid (yes after deduction of the fee, but ya got paid)

2. If you do not get paid, you will have the satisfaction of giving them a bad mark on their credit score.

Just make sure you have your ducks in a row when you take your paper work to the collection agency.

Sean-1966

Maybe we all need to start sending e-mails to all these deadbeats saying "pay your bill". Literally inundate them with e-mails. Thoughts??

Baltimore Shooter

Problem is, emails and phone calls take a lot of our time away from other things. I like the court or collection co ideas better. I went through a collection co once. After all the late fees and such that had amassed, I still walked away with not too much less than my original invoice amount.

Warren

natspop

One of the best ways of seeing to it the rest of us go in with eyes wide open is to tell each other about dead beats like this here and on other sites. I keep a list of people like this that those of you who are kind enough to tell us about so this doesn't happen to me. Thank you Marty. Now take them to court and at least get a judgement against his company so if he ever does make any money you'll get yours.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the positive responses.
I also posted this on the ITVA & WIFV list serves. Interestingly enough, there was quite a bit of flack from those people over the appropriateness of postings like this. There were also many positive responses.

WIFV DC will be holding a series of meetings on the subject of running your own business. The first is scheduled for March 14, but details have not yet been announced. WIFV meetings are open to the public with a nominal admission fee.