Data rescue II and FCP

TexasDave

Hey everyone - I had a little mishap. As I was clearing out some old files in FCP, I accidently deleted some things for a project I'm currently editing. And to make things worse, emptied the trash.

Well, I purchased and ran Data Rescue II, and it recovered a lot of files, including most (if not all) of what I needed. I can breathe a little easier now!

But I am having difficulity reconnecting the media to the recovered clips! I don't know what to do... here's what I have tried...

The files were pulled up at QT movies and had a .mov for the title. So I tried to rename the media clip to correspond with the clip in FCP, which now has the Media Offline message.

I changed the file from a QT movie to open in FCP, and even changed the name to .fcp. Still no luck.

What do I need to do? I control-click on the clip that I need in the bin and go to "reconnect media", go to the hard drive with the revovered files, but it won't let me select any of them.

Does this make any sense to anyone? Do you need more info from me to offer suggestions? The company that I bought the mac from is off for a few days, and I'd really like to get this solved ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

Max Girth

Rename the files EXACTLY what they were before you trashed them.

THEN right click on the missing clips in the bin, choose reconnect, and go hunting.

There's a chance FCP will still not like the files for some reason, maybe the type or creator will be off. In that case, I'd uncheck "Show Properly named files" or whatever it says in the bottom of the dialog where you're picking the files. When you uncheck that, you can reconnect a bin clip to any movie file you want, whether it's right or not, so be careful.

Also, make sure you are renaming your files properly. You can have a file where the file extension is set to be hidden, OS X does this on a file-by-file basis. So you could have had a file that looked like "Movie" in the finder, but was really Movie.mov with the extension hidden. Then you added .fcp on the end, so it became "Movie.mov.fcp", with the .mov still hidden. You can find out what a file is truly named by selecting it in the finder, then hitting apple-I.

Something else you might run into...when you recover media files like you have, they might not be complete, as the recovery software is working with very sketchy info as to file length, content, type, etc. So say a 15 minute long Quicktime may be recovered as something shorter in a bad case, follow?

Good luck.