Danelle Readinger: The Heart of a Champion

Latin Lens

Okay...overall not that bad. Good story. Its not my style but it seems like you tried for one those ESPN type feature stories where they use dramatic lighting and the subject turns to the camera or they rack focus the subject and stuff like that to help out with b-roll...and all I am saying is that its not my cup of tea so that's the stuff I don't like...it's unimaginative and rather boring to me. Your video also had a blue tint to it...but maybe you were going for that? Your reporters voice/track did nothing to help convey the emotion in this piece...in fact had he reported it with some feeling it would have come out a whole lot better. The cutaway interview cam looked off with the video/audio sync...so that was a huge distraction from the start....why no lighting with the lady? Why inside a weight room? Horrible choice to go with that background and with all the work you did with the pics (which was the great part)...to not light the lady for her interview is a huge dissappointment in my eyes. I don't understand why you were limited on b-roll...it seems like she was at the track with you...so why no b-roll of her running...then you could have done some cool shooting like thru the fence with her running in the background....track length shot with the cam on the ground with her running at you...I don't understand. Does she not run anymore? If you're gonna do a story on a runner...guess what I wanna see some video of her running unless there's a hook as to why they are not. Some great editing techniques...but lots still to improve that really could have put this story over the top in the great category. You did good...you got some skill...you might just need to take some better artistic control to really put it all together.