COLD WX

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

<Numb>

Has anyone seen gloves that are thin enough to keep the mobility in my hands while shooting but thermal enough to keep myself warm? Any other ideas? Thanks!

Check out Manzillas. I have a pair I bought at Sierratradingpost.com and they're great. I bought a pair of liners for them too, for when it gets really cold. Total cost was 25 bucks. You could also check Mountain Hardware, The North Face or REI websites for similar, but much more expensive alternatives.

Bars and Tone

I have some North Face gloves and they are the best gloves ever. They are hard to find and kind of expensive but very very worth the cost. If you buy some look for the ones that say Windstopper on them, they are thin but WARM.

thru-the-lens

I hate it when the reporter asks to borrow my gloves because they don't have thier own. Same when they start eyeing my rain gear. Gee you'd think they would listen to the weather cast when its the lead!

The worst gloves I've ever used in cold weather are those wide reciever gloves with the "N" on them. Great for dextarity but lousy on keeping the cold out. Esspecially if there is a wind blowing.

I've been using a pair of knit gloves with little green dots on the palms and fingers. They keep the cold out and allow me to work. I got them in the ski gear at Oshmans.

Stay warm and stay dry.

thru-the-lens.

C

<cold weather photog>

I had this same problem for years until I got isotoners for christmas. Dan Marino was right...LOL I also added some glove liners to them and they keep my hands pretty warm. They also let you keep a feel to your hands. So you can still get to the iris and the record button.

For short durations I use a pair of neoprene gloves that have rubberized coating for grip. (similar to these gloves )
The neoprene doesn't breathe well though, so you have to make sure you don't sweat or you will freeze your fingers off...

Another more extreme option would be grippy gloves inside mittens with velcro tips.

Also, try to keep the gloves or mittens warm before you put them on if possible...

I bet some Alaska shooters could chime in on this one....

[ December 23, 2004, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: scott abing ]

G

<gloves>

I like the Da Kine Viper. I have last year's model, which is a little thinner, but they're warm and allow for plenty of movement and feel.

The key, like someone else said, is to make sure your gloves are always warm. I usually wear cargo pants, and I keep my gloves in one of the pockets when they're not on my hands (you could also put them in your back pocket).

I like seal skinz . They are waterproof and thin enough to allow me have the mobility that I want when wearing gloves. They also breath so your hands don't sweat. I never take them off even when I am plugging up cables to the live truck. I like them because they are waterproof. In the south we usually getting a freezing rain mix before it snows so the gloves will get soaked and with the seal skinz I never worry about my hands getting. They keep my hands warm enough but aren't meant to keep them super warm. You do have to be careful and not puncture the membrane that keeps the water out, but besides that they are great.

[ December 23, 2004, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: redmikeu2 ]

Lost in Alaska

I carry two pairs of gloves with me. The ones I use most ate a pair of fleece gloves made be Head. I bought them at Costco for $10. For the really cold (-20) a hand warmer in the palm does wonders. The other pair I carry are a set of full finger bike gloves. I don't use these as much because they are a little tight.

T

<Thermastat>

Why is it when its cold outside and you're wearing thermal underwear, that the folks at the station complain that its cold and get the engineers to turn up the heat?

Sure it feels good at first but then you are dying from the heat. Like I am now.

shoot da parrot

ok once again these are by far the best gloves for shooting..I use to shoot skiing based tv shows and these are the ticket.. Swix make a thin glove for nordic skiing they balance being warm with having feeling on the small camera controll buttons. You can find them at reliableracing.com

N

<Numb>

Thanks guys for the tips - However, I guess I had complained about my cold hands enough - Under my Christmas tree was a pair of ski gloves made by 'The North Face.' Thin enough for mobility and warm enough to keep a skier's hands warm! Hopefully they will keep mine warm too!

Anyone familair with these?

Maverick

I believe it was 'bars and tone' who talked about north face windstopper gloves... Ill second that... its not the cold that will kill you its the wind. I use those with a second layer of slightly larger polarfleece gloves. This way I can keep my hands resonably warm and still move the all the switches/rings. If its not too cold you can just go with onepair.
Also try stuffing some of those chemical heat packs you can get at any hardware/outdoors store.They not only can keep you warm... but throw them at you reporter to keep them warm as well.. lets face it a cold reporter = an unhappy reporter. And and unhappy reporter = a very unhappy photog!
There also good for bribing cops at scenes who are just as cold... maybe they will remember you next time the blue lights are on the wrong side of the rear view mirror!

M

<Minnesotan>

I just picked me up a pair of these last night. They're on sale at Nordstoms for $32, normally $50. They seemed to work well for this morning's live shot. My hand weren't cold, but it wasn't that cold this morning.

Originally posted by Maverick:
I believe it was 'bars and tone' who talked about north face windstopper gloves... Ill second that... its not the cold that will kill you its the wind. I use those with a second layer of slightly larger polarfleece gloves. This way I can keep my hands resonably warm and still move the all the switches/rings. If its not too cold you can just go with onepair.
Also try stuffing some of those chemical heat packs you can get at any hardware/outdoors store.They not only can keep you warm... but throw them at you reporter to keep them warm as well.. lets face it a cold reporter = an unhappy reporter. And and unhappy reporter = a very unhappy photog!
There also good for bribing cops at scenes who are just as cold... maybe they will remember you next time the blue lights are on the wrong side of the rear view mirror!

Mel Stone

It depends on what you mean by COLD! If it's 0 or colder, there's no way you can have dexterity AND warmth.

So, buy a glove that's warm...big...easy to get off... and get on... take if off and on, as needed, but stay warm... you can't function with forzen fingers.

Mel Stone
North Dakota

Mel Stone

It depends on what you mean by COLD! If it's 0 or colder, there's no way you can have dexterity AND warmth.

So, buy a glove that's warm...big...easy to get off... and get on... take if off and on, as needed, but stay warm... you can't function with forzen fingers.

Mel Stone
North Dakota

Gabounk

Gosh, how many times has this topic came up? I think only resume questions come up more.
Here is my two cents, again. I have experimented a lot with gloves. Before falling into this biz I was a wilderness guide (to give some perspective). It really depends on temp and how much dexterity you want. I will tell you right now, a glove doesn't exist that will keep you warm in cold (0 and lower) temps and still let you use all the little switches. That said here are my recommendations...
Currently I am using a pair of auto mechanic's gloves I picked up at autozone for $12. They are lightly padded and give me great dexterity. I can pick a dime off a smooth floor with them on! I can control all the switches and they block the wind. Last week when it was -14, my hands got cold but down to about 20 I am fine.
For colder weather I use a pair of double thick fleece gloves I got at Target for $5. I don't have the dexterity but I can white balance and use the lens controls without taking them off. I am going to try experimenting with choppers (heavy mittens) and the mechanic's gloves when it gets colder.
I guess my two cents turned into a buck and a half. Good luck and perhaps just resign yourself to the fact that your hands are going to get cold.
A little more info...
A way to help keep your hands warmer is to keep your body warm. When the body temp lowers it will constrict the blood vessels in the extremities - the arms and legs - to keep the core warm. A warm hat and good winter clothes are a important part of the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.