Coastal Marker

100% out of my element on this one. I'm used to doing feel good ... dare I say "fluffy" kinds of things. I've shot stories like this for other reporters, but never as an "MMJ."

Coastal Marker

I had a stand up that included a pan, but I didn't put it in because I didn't think the package needed it. It kind of felt like a stand-up for the sake of a stand-up (which it was).

Since I was out on my own I adjusted the tripod handle to be angled forward on the opposite side of the direction I was panning. I looped my belt around the handle and slowly pulled on the belt to make the camera pan. I was able to keep my hand low enough that the belt and my hand motion were out of frame and it turned out pretty well, but I quadruple checked that everything was locked down and tight before executing ... making extra sure that I just pull the tripod over.

mkay

100% out of my element on this one. I'm used to doing feel good ... dare I say "fluffy" kinds of things. I've shot stories like this for other reporters, but never as an "MMJ."

Coastal Marker

I had a stand up that included a pan, but I didn't put it in because I didn't think the package needed it. It kind of felt like a stand-up for the sake of a stand-up (which it was).

Since I was out on my own I adjusted the tripod handle to be angled forward on the opposite side of the direction I was panning. I looped my belt around the handle and slowly pulled on the belt to make the camera pan. I was able to keep my hand low enough that the belt and my hand motion were out of frame and it turned out pretty well, but I quadruple checked that everything was locked down and tight before executing ... making extra sure that I just pull the tripod over.

First off props to all MMJ's Well done as a OMB! Nice trick with the panning idea. I might steal that! One thing I noticed was a lack of background audio underneath the track. It's minor nonetheless, but make sure theres a little bg during b-roll. Under deadline it can be tough to smooth things out. It's always the last thing I do, when editing a pkg, but I try to budget time for that. Overall a solid pkg!

Latin Lens

So this isn't too bad. For some reason your "voice" didn't work for me. Its like you were purposefully trying to tone it back but it didn't come off well to my ears atleast. So I would say...just read normal...but with some emotion but its a little over the top for me. As an MMJ...you need to help yourself by jazzing it up where and when you can. Interviews that always look the same can be your downfall...change it up, you need variety...look for shots that convey meaning visually...if someone is at a memorial standing there...shoot her feet in the dirt...catch a tear...something to help...but you need to be on your toes at all times to pick and find those types of shots. There was an obvious repeat shot of the girl standing at memorial...big no-no there...shoot more video and while shooting formulate a good closing shot to use...instead of the other way around because then that big mistake happens. Its tough for sure I understand but open eyes and ears are your best friend.

Good stuff to think about ... thanks Latin Lens.

I 100% agree with you on the voice work in this pkg. I was trying way too hard to keep it lower energy and it really wasn't the way to go.

I'm comfortable using a camera, but writing is still foreign to me. So one of my biggest downfalls right now is I'm rushing myself in the field so I can give myself more time to write. Which leads to missed opportunities ... like not even realizing I doubled up that shot. The only reason I even used a shot there was to mask the awkward cut from his interview to hers due to not changing up the interviews enough.

I was completely lucky with this piece that the girl just happened to be out there when I showed up at the beach. I wasn't able to interview any of the family that day, so my producers suggested I cross my fingers and just head to the beach in hopes of an MOS. When I saw her looking at the memorial I had to ask if she knew one of the boys and sure enough she was friends with one of them and had been talking with family about the marker. I expressed my condolences, but on the inside I was jumping for joy. But in the end I definitely should have spent more time with her instead of getting what I thought I needed and rushing off.

Latin Lens

You'll find 9 times out of 10...if you get the good/great shots then the writing will become easier. Getting all you need in the field to help you at your desk or in the edit bay is priceless. I am not in your position so I can understand there's a learning curve applying it all together. Just be mindful of it and who knows maybe that extra 5 mins out in the field beats the 10 mins at the desk writing. Keep em coming.