Cases?

2000lux

I need to get some more cases. I'm looking for advice.

I find the Pelicans to be pretty heavy before I even put any thing in them. I have one that is 25 Lbs before I even put stuff in it! I've heard the Storm Cases are a little lighter. Is any one using the SKB ones? Gator makes some good musician cases. Is any one using their stuff for video gear? Any other brands you'd recommend?

I need cases for:
A couple of LED 1x1s (together, preferably one with wheels)
A 17" monitor
A 7" monitor, a 2 bay Anton Bauer charger and a few Dionics.
Small grip kit (would get heavy fast)
Maybe light stands too.

I've used a golf case to ship my tripods and C-stands before. Its actually very easy to get a golf case over 100 Lbs. Especially if you're loading it with C-stands!

Douglas

I've used this case from Litepanels for the last 3 years and there's no way I'd want to lug around a big heavy Pelican for such lightweight gear. Overkill.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=620869&gclid=CJm-9NHZ5sECFVTl7AodBX0AhA&Q=&is=REG&A=details

I can carry two 1x1 panels, two power supplies, two v-mount battery plates, a gel kit, a Chimera with frame, and one honeycomb grid plus two 16' Lowel power cables. It's tight, but works great.

Did I mention it has a very comfortable handle?

svp

I've started buying Plano cases at Dick's sporting goods. Most are actually made for guns but are very light and hold most items I need in a case. The dual layer handgun case has the foam squares you can remove to customize it for whatever you need. I use them for my wireless mics, monitors, on-cam LED lights, etc. They don't have any big enough for a 1x1 LED. They are light, cheap, and protect my stuff really well. The small handgun case is $6 and the dual layer case is $20.

2000lux

How are the Camrade, Litpanels, and Portabrace bags when it comes to shipping? I'm worried about putting them on a plane (let alone a cart load of gear).

Douglas

I like the looks of that Camrade bag. I'd probably go for that if I was buying today. I have other Camrade products and I like them.

I rarely fly with lights and grip gear so that is a non-issue for me. I'm more concerned about local productions and not having to deal with cases that are unnecessarily heavy and bulky on a daily basis and taking up too much room in my van and on the Magliner. If I had to fly with my 1x1's I'd put them in a spare Pelican with some foam for the trip and then put them back where they belong for the rest of the time. There is no way in hell I'd drag that 1440 you posted above around everyday!

its an old debate and it really comes down to what type of work you are doing at the moment. If you are just doing local production soft cases are good or perhaps even better. If you need to fly/ship them or are doing the type of work that quickly wears gear than go with the hard cases. But by all means keep the cases small/light nobody wants to pick up a case and find that it was filled to the brim with sandbags.